2008 Honda FourTrax Foreman Rubicon GPScape
The Forman Rubicon GPScape is one of the most popular big utility ATVs from Honda. Who wouldn’t want the continuously variable Hondamatic transmission, TraxLok 2WD/4WD system, torque-sensitive front differential and sophisticated GPScape navigation capabilities?
White is the new color joining previous model colors Red, Olive and NaturalGear™ Camouflage.
This is Honda’s first liquid-cooled, four-stroke, 499cc, overhead-valve, single-cylinder ATV engine. Also unique to the Rubicon is the Hondamatic transmission; it is a continuously variable, hydromechanical design that eliminates belts altogether. Dash-mounted knob switches to one of three electronic shifting programs: D1 for maximum performance, D2 for maximum torque and ESP™, Honda’s exclusive Electric Shift Program. D1 and D2 modes provide continuously variable transmission output; ESP allows the rider to “shift” the Hondamatic with the touch of a thumb using two push-buttons mounted on the left handlebar.
Durability and comfort are very important on long excursions. The frame and suspension offer 7.5 inches of ground clearance. Independent double-wishbone front suspension uses premium shock absorbers to provide 6.7 inches of suspension travel. Rear suspension travel is 6.7 inches that comes from the steel swingarm and dual rear shock absorbers. A patented built-in scraper system is on the front disc brake calipers; they help remove mud and snow from inside the front wheel. It helps prevent buildup of debris between the caliper and rim to ensure consistent braking performance.
The Rubicon has so many great extras such as the Integrated GPScape, TraxLok® selectable 2WD/4WD system, waterproof accessory socket provides 12-volt, 10-amp power with a built-in temperature-type fuse, the powerful 361-watt AC generator, and a triple headlight system for optimal light. The large front and rear cargo racks rated at 66 and 133 pounds. A unique rear-opening storage compartment allows access when the rack is loaded.
- TraxLok® selectable 2WD/4WD system
- 20-watt integrated carburetor heater for reliable cold-weather starting.
- Liquid-cooled overhead-valve single-cylinder 499cc four-stroke engine is mounted longitudinally in the frame, allowing direct driveshaft alignment to front and rear wheels for improved drivetrain efficiency.
- The Hondamatic transmission utilizes variable hydraulic pressure and mechanical torque amplification to provide seamless job-handling power and excellent acceleration. Engine power drives a hydraulic pump. The pump, in turn, drives a hydraulic motor with variable fluid capacity. Utilizing pump and motor pistons and a variable-pitch motor-side swash plate, hydraulic capacity and pressure are varied, producing continuously variable output speed. In addition, torque is increased as output-shaft speed is reduced.
- The Hondamatic features true engine braking, unlike conventional belt-drive designs.
- Multi-function LCD digital instrumentation is compact, tough and waterproof, featuring large readouts for Hondamatic transmission modes, gear selector position, speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, resettable tripmeter and hourmeter/clock. Instrument housing includes LEDs for Reverse, Neutral and temperature warning indicator.
- Model: TRX500FGA (with GPS) TRX500FGA (with GPS):
- Motor: 499cc liquid-cooled OHV dry-sump longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke: 92.0mm x 75.0mm
- Induction: 36mm constant-velocity carburetor
- Ignition: CD with electronic advance
- Starter: Electric with auxiliary recoil
- Clutch: Automatic
- Transmission: Fully automatic hydromechanical, continuously variable with electronic controls
- Driveline: Direct front and rear driveshafts with TraxLok and torque-sensitive front differential
- Front Suspension: Independent double-wishbone; 6.7 inches travel
- Rear Suspension: Swingarm with dual shock absorbers; 6.7 inches travel
- Front Brakes: 180mm front discs with single-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes: Sealed mechanical drum
- Front Tires: 25 x 8-12
- Rear Tires: 25 x 10-12
- Length: 83.0 inches
- Width: 46.8 inches
- Height: 46.4 inches
- Seat Height: 33.9 inches
- Ground Clearance: 7.5 inches
- Wheelbase: 50.6 inches
- Towing Capacity: 850 pounds Curb
- Weight: 633 pounds (ready to ride, all fluids and gas)
- Fuel Capacity: 4.1 gallons, including 0.7-gallon reserve
- Colors: Red, Olive, White, NaturalGear Camouflage