1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

help diagnose stator

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also why can't I put an ac wiring loom cdi the lot

Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 250-man
I have a 05 wildfire 250 qac i think thats wat it is. mine wont start either.When i try to start it it sounds like the gears from the starter to the other gears are just spinning. I got mad and flippied it the one day and ever since theen its been like this. Any help would be appreciated
There is a one way clutch between the starter and the engine. This allows the starter to turn the engine, but when the engine starts up it disconnects allowing the engine to turn faster than the starter motor. If this clutch gets worn or gummed up the starter just spins without engaging and driving the engine. You need to look at this and see if the starter clutch can be cleaned up, or just replace it.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok guys im sorry i bought a china quad 250cc ssr the wireharness i gone it has 2 groups of wires coming from the stater one has pink-blk/red-blu/white-yellow-grn/white this is a big white plug the other is pink-yellow/red-blue/red-green/blk-green/red-yello i believe this is my cdi plug then theres a regulator with red-pink-yellow-green wires and finally the kill/run start button left grip has brown-green-blue/white-blk-yellow/red ok this is all i wanna run no nothin can anyone tell me how to derect wire this or even have a diagram thanx too much

Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by justinary
ok guys im sorry i bought a china quad 250cc ssr the wireharness i gone it has 2 groups of wires coming from the stater one has pink-blk/red-blu/white-yellow-grn/white this is a big white plug the other is pink-yellow/red-blue/red-green/blk-green/red-yello i believe this is my cdi plug then theres a regulator with red-pink-yellow-green wires and finally the kill/run start button left grip has brown-green-blue/white-blk-yellow/red ok this is all i wanna run no nothin can anyone tell me how to derect wire this or even have a diagram thanx too much
This is a big job. Are you sure you can't buy a wiring harness? What else is wrong with this bike? Bikes that are sold without wiring harnesses are usually basket cases and beyond hope. Will you be able to face a toasted engine after all that work of wiring it up?

Here are a couple diagrams and pics to get you started:

The wiring diagram shows a VBike with the transmission gear indicator wires that match your wires almost exactly (the ones you think go to the CDI).

Name:  V-Bike_Wiring_DiagramPage2.jpg
Views: 21389
Size:  49.8 KB

This picture show a typical 250cc CDI:

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 5413
Size:  27.7 KB

Your CDI will need to be wired more like this: [note the wires colors match your other connector from the stator:

Name:  Hensim150ccATVPage1.jpg
Views: 16543
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  Hensim150ccATVPage2.jpg
Views: 21762
Size:  67.1 KB

And there is the regulator wiring (different from all of the above), and the starter/solenoid wiring....

It can be done, but it is going to take a lot of work. If you decide to proceed I would break it up into small steps, and get one system working at a time:

1) Get the starter to crank the engine with a start button,
2) Get Spark at the spark plug
3) Get the kill circuitry working
4) Get the battery charge circuitry working.
5) Attack any other ancillary problems like lighting, brake switches, etc.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey we have a chinese four wheeler we bought for our son on the side it says its a tank 110cc it ran fine when we bought it a week ago it is a 3 speed with reverse it did not pull very well so we are going to have to replace the clutch but we rode it around the yard and pulled it in building and shut it off now it wont start back we have tryed everything it makes no noise or nothing when you push the switch to start it we were told it was a starter lockout safety switch that has went bad and we could bypass it and it would be fine well our problem is we have no idea where this is or what it looks like or how to go about bypassing it any help would be greatly app....my nine year old son is very heart broke and my husband is very aggravated with it and ready to burn it lol please help

Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by babyblossom69ss
...and shut it off now it wont start back we have tryed everything it makes no noise or nothing when you push the switch to start it we were told it was a starter lockout safety switch that has went bad and we could bypass it and it would be fine well our problem is we have no idea where this is or what it looks like or how to go about bypassing it any help would be greatly app....
The safety interlock that keeps the starter from turning is the brake switch. The idea is that this prevent you from starting up the quad in gear and having it suddenly lurch into someone. If you have to have the brake on to start up the quad then the quad will necessarilly stay put even if you are in gear.

Turn on the ignition, and apply the brake. Does the brake light light up? If not, the quad won't start. Some 110cc quads don't have brake lights. If yours doesn't then report back, find yourself a meter, and we'll go a different route.

See if you can play around with the brake light switch to get the brake light to light up. Is your rear brake foot operated or handlebar activated? Foot brakes are adjustable.

You can bypass brake switches, but do you really want to do that? Would you bypass the similar interlock on your automatic tranmission car that keeps you from starting up in "Drive"?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok we will try this sometimes the brake light comes on sometimes it dont but we will try this and i will let you know what we come up with

Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

the brakes are on the handles it has no foot brakes

Old 07-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

try tapping on the left side of engine with a rubber mallet at the stator. stater roller bearing sticking. Same thing on one of my kids HI-Bird QH250STW .

Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Hi Chris,

What kind of quad? Is it Chinese? Do you know the engine size?

Does your CDI look like this:

The following assumes the above picture is correct. If it isn't then say so and we will have to back track a bit. If I don't forge ahead on assumptions then we'll spend too much time waiting for each other to respond to every detail. I hope that makes sense.

The first thing to check is whether you have a DC powered CDI (I'm suspecting this). Unplug the CDI, turn on the ignition switch and measure the DC voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin in the wiring harness to ground in the above picture. If it reads 12 volts DC then you have a DC powered CDI. And if this is true then obviously it isn't an AC ignition power pin, but 2 connector 6 pin DC powered and AC powered CDI's look the same (except the DC powered ones are usually slightly bigger).

On DC powered CDI's the only stator connection that has anything to do with ignition is the Yellow/Blue wire. It would be the trigger pulse signal that tells the CDI when to fire the spark plug. The yellow and white wires would be the battery charge winding in the stator, and green is ground. Please make sure you didn't miss a black/red wire coming from the stator. That would change everything. Not a big deal, but it points out a different course of action then the one we're now on.

Concentrate on determining if the CDI looks like the picture above, and whether it is DC powered first. We can go from there.

If I'm going too fast tell me and I'll slow down. But you will need a voltmeter to figure this out. So get one ready...
I have a 150 cc Chinese Quad, no spark. I have the same plug you described, no 12 v on the pin you indicated should have. The quad was running fine before, but hard to start. Now there is no spark at all, what do I check next? Thanks.

Quick Reply: help diagnose stator