1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Redcat 90cc won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat 90cc won't start

Hello all,

I recently got given this redcat 90cc atv because it wouldn't run right for the guy, and well FREE is an offer I can't refuse. I believe it is an 06 or 07 ATV, maybe it is an 08 but I am not sure.

He originally bought it and after a week it began to start, run 15 minutes and die. He couldn't get warranty work done so he gave up and it has sat in his garage for 2.5 years.

I cleaned it up, greased everything, oiled everything, replaced the battery, replaced all rubber hoses that were dry rotted from sitting, and removed and cleaned out the carb.

The upper portion of the carb was fairly clean except for some residue at the needle seat. I took off the fuel bowl and cleaned the float and the fuel bowl itself. There was lots of junk in the bottom of the fuel bowl.(bottom of carb) I reassembled the carb and installed it. I changed the fuel filter, added new gas to tank after draining, added gumout octane boost, and some more gumout cleaner. I also used gumout spray carb cleaner to clean the carb. I sprayed it through all holes both ways to clear any debris.

I tested it and I have good spark and a good new spark plug. Motor cranks fine and there is definitely compression.

When I took the top of the carb apart where the cable comes in I made sure to pay attention to the configuration of the spring and sleeve that sits in the carb neck. I reassembled it the same way that I took it apart.

The ATV won't start though. I am unsure what to do and am wondering if a new carb is my answer? The cable was originally frozen, but after I reassembled the carb the cable moved like it should.

Any ideas of what my next step is?
here is a pic of the bike, it is for my 9 and 12 year old daughters.....
Name:  scope109.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  137.5 KB

Thanks,
Rich

Old 07-03-2010, 10:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mr.Firemouth!

To properly and completely clean a carb it must be taken completely apart...all jets, and adjustment screws must be removed... even the brass like nut the main jet screws into must be removed and cleaned...

both jets must be clean enough to see light thru them.

The brass like nut the main jet screws into has very tiny holes thru the side of it... you must be able to see light thru them..

Every possible passageway in the carb must be flushed with carb cleaner and compressed air if available... I spray in and out of every hole and in both directions... especially the hole the pilot jet and fuel screw came out of..

Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the welcome to the forum!
Today I woke up and went out in the garage and took the carb off.
Lots of stuff was wrong there!
*The throttle cable was seiezed, so I took it apart from the handle to the Carb top and lubed until it moved freely.
*The top of the carb was real tight too. So I greased the bore of the top and the cylinder that holds the needle that attaches to the cable/spring and it moves freely with the cable now.
*I took apart the whole carb, cleaned all the ports and jets. The small jet is plugged. I can not get it clean. This is the one with the small holes on the side of it. It is plugged int the center. I tried Carb cleaner, air, heat, nothing will clear it.
*The float needle and seat is a mess too. I cleaned several times, but when I put the bowl back on it will not let gas through. I have great flow to the top of the carb. It will work when I have the carb apart and hold the float down, but when I reassemble it then it will not allow the gas to flow.
I have about 6 hours in this mess. So I decided to just order a new carb and install it when it comes in. It was only $35 on E-bay from SK Motorsports in Texas. They had an excellent rating so I ordered it.

If I spray starter fluid through the carb the bike starts right up. So at least I am confident it is indeed a fuel issue with no fuel in the fuel bowl. LOL
I was just glad to see it start and run if only for just a brief moment.

Is there anything I should do when installing the new Carb?

Is there a tutorial on how to attach the throttle cable to the top of the carb?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming the throttle cable threads into the top cap on the carb, like a Mikuni? if so, just set it up so it fully closes with a some slack in the throttle lever at idle, and will fully lift the slide at full throttle (test with engine off, just in case !!) 35 bucks for a new carb is great, probably would cost more to rebuild the old one !!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

New carb on and the quad runs great!
The throttle cable was really easy to install, but took some work to get it off the old one. The new carb starts 1,2,3!!!!
Best $35 spent E-var!!!

Old 05-18-2021, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default need help

hello, not sure if you watch this or who replys but, after about a month of searching the net, im pretty sure i have the exact same 4 wheeler, kazuma redcat 90cc motor, and same body, but for the life of me i cant find the body parts,
do you know what body name that is?

Old 05-18-2021, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default still need help

yes stilll me, can you please email to ericneumaqnn20@hotmail.com

Old 04-09-2022, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by powerwheelsdontmove
yes stilll me, can you please email to ericneumaqnn20@hotmail.com
i have this exect same 4 wheeler,but im having a hard time finding a assembly manuel to it.ive got the rear axle tore apart but cant figure out how it goes back together.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:36 PM
Machinedrivinmecrazy
Unhappy Redcat 90cc won't start

I've been looking for 1 as well...for the exact same thing (imagine that)
for quite some time now! Were you able to find 1? If so would you please let me know?
Thanks

Old 07-15-2022, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TamsRottCrazy
I've been looking for 1 as well...for the exact same thing (imagine that)
for quite some time now! Were you able to find 1? If so would you please let me know?
Thanks
Well I think I've almost got it right.