1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

150 cc TaoTao won't start..NO SPARK.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150 cc TaoTao won't start..NO SPARK.

I am new here. I bought a 150cc Tao Tao from Powersportsmax and had it shipped out of the country to a caribbean island where I live. I have never been able to get it started. It will make a noise like it is trying to start but does not start running. No one on the island knows anything about it and I have had numerous mechanics look at and test the electrical replaced the plug and replaced the stator, I disconnected the kill switch. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be going on??

Last edited by mywifesquad; 02-02-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Title change to attract more help
Old 02-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

I know my new Taotao 110cc took quite a lot of cranking initially to start. Enough that I pulled the spark plug to verify a good spark. Spark was great, reinstalled the plug, found just the right amount of choke, a few pumps of the throttle and it fired right up. You need to verify you're getting fuel in the cylinder and getting a good spark.

Joel

Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bill-Nevis!

Do you know if the engine is getting spark? Do you have any mechanical skills?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

no it is not getting spark. Mechanical skills limited but I can figure things out if given good directions

Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is "not getting spark" then I would think you wouldn't get the impression that it is "trying to start". Those two statements conflict. Maybe your getting weak spark or intermittent spark. Or maybe your problem is something else.

Just to be sure, how did you check for no spark? The way to do this is to pull out the spark plug, hook it up, hold the plug threads against the engine, and crank the starter. You should see a fat blue spark across the plug gap. The quad should also be set up to run when doing this - i.e. all kill switches in the run position.

You said you disconnected the kill switch. How? Where?

Do you know if your CDI is DC powered or AC powered? If you don't know we can find out with some simple tests.

Do you have a volt meter?

The first step is make sure that this really is a no spark problem. If it is we can go down that path. If not, then its a different path.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Range Rover

Hopefully this is the easy fix.... on the left hand handlebar kill switch, it is actually a 2 part kill switch, make sure its in the run position, usually in the middle & then push it in, alot of times that is all that is wrong, the switch will not allow spark until the actual switch is pushed in.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

we took the spark plug out and got no spark. When I say it is trying to start I mean it turns over but does not fire. We put a new coil and capacitor in as well. Is there a schematic of the electrical wiring available somewhere?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

When we press the starter it makes a noise ( trying to turn over) but no spark. interesting to note, that when I press on the brake it will not even make a noise (trying to turn over) when I don't press on brake it will make a noise. Also my headlights do not light up at all when the key is on. the brake lights work but not the headlights. is there a possibly a wiring problem somewhere.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I would think you would have to hold one of the brakes in to get a spark? But your saying it doesnt even turn over if you apply the brake? hmmm.. Im hoping LynnEdwards has a wiring diagram for this machine.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Range Rover

I'm *assuming* his new 150cc Taotao is the same as my new 110, but on mine, the starter won't even energize unless you have the hand brake pulled or the foot brake mashed (one or the other). If you hit the lockout with the remote key FOB, the starter won't energize and the OBNOXIOUS siren will keep chirping at you until the unlock is pressed on the FOB (while the ignition key is still on). I know the red rocker style kill switch on the left handlebar fooled me once. Make sure that's clicked to the side w/out the circle w/ the slash through it. The starter will crank the engine over until the battery dies if that's not met. I have yet to mess with the rear pull cord kill switch. It's been so cold out it doesn't budge. The weird thing with my 110 is, the remote start on the key FOB WILL start the engine without a brake being set. Too many options I tells ya. Too many options.

Joel

Quick Reply: 150 cc TaoTao won't start..NO SPARK.