1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Coolster 125 ATV electrical problems

Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolster 125 ATV electrical problems

Hello everyone knew to the site. I bought my son a Coolster Mountaintop 125 (used) for Christmas. Last time we went to ride I could not get to start, their was no spark. The wiring was a mess so I recently purchased a whole new wiring harnes for it. I hooked everything then hooked up the positive wire to the battery and immediatly fried the fuse. So I unhooked everything, replaced the fuse. I then hooked up the positive and negative wires to the battery. I screwed in the ground, connected the voltage regulator, connected the relay, connected the key switch then when I connected the alternatory the fuse fried. Could the altenator be bad and it shorting it out? I took the alternator out and it is pretty beat up. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When fuses blow when hooking up the stator (alternator), usually this means the voltage regulator is bad. The only winding in the stator that has a low enough resistance to blow fuses is the battery charge winding, and the rectifier portion of the regulator is supposed to keep the battery current from going back through the stator winding when it isn't outputting any voltage.

So if you hook up the stator first with the regulator still disconnected does the fuse blow? I other words does the fuse blow if and only if both the regulator and stator are connected up?

Where did you get the wiring harness? How do you know if it compatible with your quad?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

+1 voltage regulator

Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a what seems to be a Coolster Mountopz-200 (3200E) when I got it the cdi box and altonator was shot the parts match up to a 125cc so not sure. The problem I am having is that now I got the new oe I have the wire connected since the guy before me cut all the connects off but this one red and green wire I have no idea what it goes to. It is not connected in the altonator and comes out to plug into something but not sure. I was thinking it was a ground but not sure do not want to try starting and fry it. Does anyone have an idea what it goes to or have a manual to figure it out/

Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Chad Mcconnell
I have a what seems to be a Coolster Mountopz-200 (3200E) when I got it the cdi box and altonator was shot the parts match up to a 125cc so not sure. The problem I am having is that now I got the new oe I have the wire connected since the guy before me cut all the connects off but this one red and green wire I have no idea what it goes to. It is not connected in the altonator and comes out to plug into something but not sure. I was thinking it was a ground but not sure do not want to try starting and fry it. Does anyone have an idea what it goes to or have a manual to figure it out/
I don't have a wiring diagram of your quad. I'm also having a rough time from your description figuring out what exactly you problem is.

So you bought it with a shot stator (you call it an alternator) and CDI. How do you know that? What tests did you do do to determine this?

So now you have a new "oe" (I assume that means "one"), but the CDI and stator is "two" parts. I'm confused here ... Please explain...

So you wired it up directly because the connectors have been cut off. But why on earth would you buy a non-running quad with connectors that have been cut off? Isn't this a big red flag here? Why would you think this is a viable worthwhile transaction? I'm just thinking out loud here - this is what would be going through my mind if someone was trying to sell me this quad...

OK, so where does this red and green wire go? It doesn't make sense to describe "this wire" that doesn't go to this place or that place. There are an *infinite* number of places that any wire *doesn't* go to - such as planet x123gy777z in the andromeda galaxy to name just one . So instead of telling us where it "doesn't go", tell us where it *does* go (or where it comes from - which is actually the same thing depending on your vantage point).

Last edited by LynnEdwards; 04-14-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I know that because when I got it I need to get the new cdi which is seperate. I replaced it went to start it and then when I did it was smoking from the stator (altonator thats what the part site called it) but anyway the old part had just 5 wires and the new one has 6 all the wires that connect in the stator I have connected. The wire that I am confused on is a red and green color it is in the sheath and comes out on both ends the end inside of the stator is not connected but loose with the end exposed the other that comes out of the sheath with the others that I have connected has an end that is supposed to go into something but I am not sure where. Like I said the guy that had it before me cut all of the quick connects off so I have no idea and there is no other wires that match up to the green/red wire so with me not having a diagram and can not find one for this model or manual I am lost.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh and by the way I only payed 140 for the quad and besides the wires it is in practically mint condition. So I figured if I hadto put money into it then it would not be to bad since I only paid $140

Old 04-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Chad Mcconnell
Well I know that because when I got it I need to get the new cdi which is seperate. I replaced it went to start it and then when I did it was smoking from the stator (altonator thats what the part site called it) but anyway the old part had just 5 wires and the new one has 6 all the wires that connect in the stator I have connected. The wire that I am confused on is a red and green color it is in the sheath and comes out on both ends the end inside of the stator is not connected but loose with the end exposed the other that comes out of the sheath with the others that I have connected has an end that is supposed to go into something but I am not sure where. Like I said the guy that had it before me cut all of the quick connects off so I have no idea and there is no other wires that match up to the green/red wire so with me not having a diagram and can not find one for this model or manual I am lost.
Fair enough. How many pins on your CDI? 4, 6 or 8? (In the latter case that would be a 2 pin and a 4 pin connector).

So on your new stator, what are the six wire colors coming out of the engine? And those six colors (well at least 5 of 6 colors) are wired in to what colors on the wiring harness?

You said the red and green wire...
comes out on both ends the end inside of the stator.
I can make no sense of this phrase whatsoever. Please explain this in more detail...

Further you said:
[it] is not connected but loose with the end exposed the other that comes out of the sheath with the others that I have connected has an end that is supposed to go into something but I am not sure where.
I can't make any sense of this either...

Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

[quote=LynnEdwards;3108368]Fair enough. How many pins on your CDI? 4, 6 or 8? (In the latter case that would be a 2 pin and a 4 pin connector).

So on your new stator, what are the six wire colors coming out of the engine? And those six colors (well at least 5 of 6 colors) are wired in to what colors on the wiring harness?

You said the red and green wire... I can make no sense of this phrase whatsoever. Please explain this in more detail...

Further you said:

I can't make any sense of this either...

Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I really do not know how else to explain if you give ma an email address I can send a pic that way you might be able to get a better idea as to what I mean if you do not want to on here then if you want send it to chad1017@gmail.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolster 125 ATV electrical problems