1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

hi bird 150cc wont start please help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi bird 150cc wont start please help...

hi everyone new to the thread, my father in law has a broken 150cc hibird. he said i can have it if i fix it!!

so for now i connected the battery with cables to my car to make sure it had enough power. the starter turns over with a lot of power.
i had gas leaking out of the filter, so i bought a new filter online, it was perfect size as original.
now it still wont start!! i connected the spark plug to the coil and pressed the electric start button( with the spark plug outside) to see if there was spark, and there was a spark!!

with that said, after reading through the forum im thinking it needs a cdi maybe the spaek isnt big enough??? what do you guys think? also, how do you guys check the ohms?? i have a multimeter thing i bought at harbor freights will that work?? how do i wire it. thanks any help is hgreatly appreciated

Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are you getting fuel into the carburetor? is it choked or not? is it flooded? does it sound like it's trying to fire/start or is it just turning over and over and over.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes it sounds just like that, and when i pres the gas button while starting, it sounds a little different like it really wants to but it wont start. i dont think its flooded because we let it sit like two weeks thinking that was the problem. i also need to mention that i dont know hardly anything about quads or any mechanics. but i was hopeing basic knowledge would get me through. but to answer your question i dont know if it has a choke i looked but ddnt find one, and i dont think its flooded and it does turn over and over. i also need to mention that last time we used it over 5 months ago it worked good... put it away for a hile now this

Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by valdez07
hi everyone new to the thread, my father in law has a broken 150cc hibird. he said i can have it if i fix it!!

...i had gas leaking out of the filter, so i bought a new filter online, it was perfect size as original....
Gas leaking out of air filter means your needle/float valve in the carburetor is leaking. And that means the gas may have also leaked into the cylinder, past the rings, and into the engine oil. *DO* check into this. Pull out your dipstick and smell it. If it smells like gas then change the oil before proceeding any further.

...with that said, after reading through the forum im thinking it needs a cdi maybe the spaek isnt big enough??? what do you guys think?
Quads that sit get gummed up carburetors. I'd look into that first. Go to youtube and search for motorcycle carburetors. Watch several of them, then rip yours apart and do a thorough cleaning.

... i have a multimeter thing i bought at harbor freights will that work?? how do i wire it. thanks any help is hgreatly appreciated
I have several harbor freight meters (for measuring multiple things all at once). They work fine, but they have limitations. For example, try measuring the *AC* voltage on a nine volt battery. Obviously it should be zero volts since the voltage out of a battery isn't moving at all. Measure the battery with the leads hooked up one way, then measure it again with the leads reversed. See? If you measure the DC voltage everything comes out right.

...but to answer your question i dont know if it has a choke i looked but ddnt find one, and i dont think its flooded and it does turn over...
Do you have an automatic choke? Better question: Do you have wires going to your carburetor?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys thanks for all your help thus far.. i finnally got time to work on the quad.. so after watching some videos on youtube i took apart the carb and guess what i found?? diesel!!!! i dont know how or when but there it was greenish diesel, even colored my floats a lil green.. i cleaned it very good with the carb cleaner in every opening and removed the gunk from the bottom. also unclogged the jet that was in fact clogged.
but i only managed to take one out, how many is there??
anyhow the engine still would not start even with fresh gas.. so i took off the air filter and shot some carb cleaner in there.. and it fired up!!!!!!!!!!! but not for long ;-(..
then it would only fire u when i would shoot some in there, although i did manage to make it stay on once when i throttled it hard and it did a very impressive brake stand!! but then it turned off again as soon as i let off the gas...

any suggestions?? and to answer EDWARDS yeah it has this electric thing on it that i could not figure out... it was like a black coil thing..
please help!!! im thinking something with the gas..

Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I suspect you still have a gummed up carburetor.

The electric choke is more accurately called a bystarter valve. Rather than starving a cold engine of air to raise the fuel/air ratio, the bystarter valve opens a passageway to allow more fuel to flow when cold. The electrical element in the bystarter valve heats up after the quad starts and pushes a plunger that closes off the extra fuel passage.

I don't think your bystarter valve is causing you current problem.

See this link for a bystarter test procedure (click on 'electric choke test'):

Troubleshooting

This procedure is written for a different quad, but it is the same valve.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

how many jets does my carb have? i only took out one

Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

There will be two jets, so the other I'm sure is plugged! You can try some Gumout in the gas tank, let sit then start with starting fluid and it might clean it all out!

Old 03-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default problem solved

I had a similar incident with my Hi-bird 200. On the bottom of your carb you have a bowl. There is a drainage tube that comes from the bottom. If you are on the left side of your engine where the exhaust pipe is there will be a metal leg guard and 2 metal shields bolted onto the exhaust, remove them. From this point look at the middle of the bowl, you will see a flat head screw. What you want to do is press hard and loosen the screw without stripping it. DO NOT remove it, it is hard to install. Loosen as much as you can 2-3 turns. Turn your fuel on and this will allow a gel buildup from the ethanol gas to be removed. Put a clear glass under the drainage tube to inspect the gunk. To better clean this bowl try to start your quad while throttling the gas. The screw can be loosen while doing this. Then tighten the screw after a couple times, your quad should run like never before.My quad was ridden for 5 hrs then garage kept for 6 months.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

[I[/I]

so for now i connected the battery with cables to my car to make sure it had enough power. the starter turns over with a lot of power.
i had gas leaking out of the filter, so i bought a new filter online, it was perfect size as original.
now it still wont start!! i connected the spark plug to the coil and pressed the electric start button( with the spark plug outside) to see if there was spark, and there was a spark!!

with that said, after reading through the forum im thinking it needs a cdi maybe the spaek isnt big enough??? what do you guys think? also, how do you guys check the ohms?? i have a multimeter thing i bought at harbor freights will that work?? how do i wire it. thanks any help is hgreatly appreciated

Quick Reply: hi bird 150cc wont start please help...