1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Wildfire 250 starting problems Can You Help

Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wildfire 250 starting problems Can You Help

Hey
I have 2008 Wildfire 250. I put a new battery in it but the starter does not seem to be engaging the flywheel or what ever turns over the crank.

I has been hard to start and I know I will need to adjust the carb once I get it to start.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I did take the side cap off and all the teeth are there. with the side cap off the top gear spins and when put together it engages the gears on the side cap I think but does not turn the engine.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Range Rover

Are you sure the new battery is fully charged and holding a charge? A weak battery may have just enough juice to spin the starter, but not enough to fling the starter gear out to engage the flywheel.

Joel

Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thx for the reply but need more Info

Hey
Yes the battery is new and fully charged. It didnt want to fling the gear in to the drive. I pushed it forward and popped the clutch and that did the trick. But it will only idle with the choke nearly closed. I checked the gears on the starter drive and all teeth are there not sure why I had to bump it forward like that to get it to engage.

It started but now will not idle. I saw the post that detailed the basics and I tried that but as soon as I open the choke it dies.

So I guess I need more help!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not an expert on 250cc mechanics, but I think your quad has a sprag type overrunning clutch that disconnects the starter from the engine when the engine starts. That was probably just gummed up before which is why the starter spun but the engine did not. Or it may be on the way out and will have to be changed soon. (Google "sprag clutch" to see how these work). Search for "starter clutch" if looking for repair parts

Has this quad sat around a while? It sounds like the carburetor is plugged up and need a good cleaning. A vacuum leak is another possibility. Spray carburetor cleaner around the intake manifold while the quad is idling. A leak will change the engine speed when you spray.