1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help! Chinese CDI 7 Wire!?

Old 10-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CommedoreT
HI, i have just bought a Bashan BS300S-18 engine and after many hours work have fitted it to my quad chassis. I bought a new CDI for the engine that matches the description of the CDI in this post. Despite having a wiring diagram for the BS300S-18 quad, i'm having trouble working out which cable goes to where, i.e. the wiring diagrams wire colors don't match the actual colors on the CDI unit. Did you find a wiring diagram for the CDI and a safe way for testing it? Any help would be appreciated! i've already melted one CDI and don't want to wreck another!
Do you have wiring diagram you could email me? And a picture(s) of the CDI? This is out of my sphere of knowledge, but I'll help as best I can. But I need doc's. I'll send my email address by private message.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Do you have wiring diagram you could email me? And a picture(s) of the CDI? This is out of my sphere of knowledge, but I'll help as best I can. But I need doc's. I'll send my email address by private message.
Sorry for the long delay in responding. I've been really sick with the flu since last saturday. I'm finally doing much better, though I still have a bad cold.

On your pic's and diagrams you sent me, many of them aren't readable. The text (like colors and module names) are just blurs, so I don't have complete info. The color "*.png" file I can't make out at all.

But there is some info to go on.

You said your quad started and ran with the black, and black/white were disconnected. Yet according to your wiring diagram this cannot be, since only one side of the ignition coil would be driven. The other side of the coil - the black wire (according to the diagram) gets power - gets pulled to 12 volts via the fan controller. Your diagram must be wrong.

I can't read the color *.png diagram you sent at all (it is just blurs), so if that is different from the others I don't know.

You also said that the engine wouldn't die with the kill switches. That part makes sense because kill switch wires are most commonly black/white wires. So I would put in the new CDI and repeat your start up test like you did before just to verify that the engine is running as before.

Then use a meter set to measure ohms on the 2K ohm scale (engine stopped and CDI unplugged) that the resistance of the kill switch pin in the harness at the CDI connector to ground measures zero ohms when *any* kill switch is on, and infinite ohms (usually display as "ol" for open loop, or just dashes such as "----"). If so hook up the black white wire to the CDI and see if the quad runs with the kill switches set to the run position, and stops the engine if any of the kill switches are set to the "stop" position

I don't know what the black wire does yet. So let's leave it disconnected fro now and see if we can get to a running quad with the ability to shut it down.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me. Shall i try to resend all of the images i have? i also found this image which corresponds with the colors from my CDI.

Google Image Result for http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/855/249/254/1277113128997_hz-myalibaba-web10_8519.jpg

could this wiring be right for my quad? The colors are the same and from the multiple diagrams i have, it seems to be right....

Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Electrical Expert

Thanks for getting back to me. Shall i try to resend all of the images i have?....
I received all your pictures and can open them fine. The problem is that the resolution is so poor I can't read and text or colors. For example this is what I got:

Help! Chinese CDI 7 Wire!?-bashan_bs300s-18_-2nd_wiring_diagram-.jpg

.... i also found this image which corresponds with the colors from my CDI.

Google Image Result for http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/855/249/254/1277113128997_hz-myalibaba-web10_8519.jpg

could this wiring be right for my quad? The colors are the same and from the multiple diagrams i have, it seems to be right....
This image is quite a bit different from the 'IMG_1552.jpeg' you sent me (one of the ones I could sort of read). On this image there is AC power winding in the stator, and the CDI is DC powered.

In the color diagram example above I see that that CDI is AC powered (though I cannot read the colors). And on the link above it too is AC powered (the red and green wires). So let's find out which stator you have:

How many wires come out of the stator through the engine side cover, and what are the colors? Once we know that then we can identify whether you have an AC power winding, and what colors those are. Then we can ohm out the wiring harness to see if they get up to your CDI connectors.

But you had this running with two wires (black and black/white) disconnected at one time. Is that info still correct, or maybe an unknown at this point?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lynn. i ran the tests that you suggested yesterday, and was failing it get a spark. i grounded the cdi via the "2nd" black wire, got a spark and got the engine running. i then killed the engine using the black/white. So problem solved! i will wire up a separate kill switch system. I believe the problems i had with the first CDI came from me "grounding" it via an output from the ignition coil, which would obviously destroy it! It seems the original Commanche system used the ignition coil to return power to the CDI (not certain why?). Thanks for your help! good to have the machine running again!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Electrical Expert

I'm glad you got it running .