Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Chinese Quads » 1) Engine problems..
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!


Reply
  #1  
Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Default I Need Help Rewiring My 110!

On the plate over the rear left tire says that this is a XIONGTAI
displacement: 107cc
engine family: 7XNGX.125AM3

i got this quad the other day and the wiring is a mess. i've rewired one of these before so i know the basics. This one had the remote start on it but i dont have that box so i'm hoping i can just bypass it. there are no lights anymore(they were removed). it has front and rear brakes but they are disconnected and i don't know where they hook up at. so i'm just going to list what i have now and see if anyone has any input.

Coming from the motor (Magneto) i have 5 wires, Green, Yellow, White, which go to the rectifier, and Blue/White, Red/Black, which go to the 5 pin CDI. those are the only 2 wires that are connected to anything from the cdi, but there are three more wires coming out of the cdi i'm just not sure where they go to. there is a Green, which i think is ground, a Black/White, and a Yellow/Black which i think is supposed to hook to the coil.
From my solenoid i have a heavy gauge Red wire on one pole that goes to the starter and on the other pole there are two wires, one heavy gauge red wire which i think would go to battery positive and a little red wire that is hooked up to the rectifier. i'm not sure if this is right. there are two wires coming out of the middle of the solenoid, a Red/Yellow and a Green/Yellow. i'm not sure if they are hooked up right but i have the Green/Yellow grounded and the Red/yellow hooked to a push button switch and then to the battery. there is a front brake that has two wires coming from it, a Black and a Yellow/Green. they are not connected to anything . the foot brake also has two wires, same color as the front and it isn't hooked up to anything.
Right now the motor turns over i just don't have spark, and i'm thinkin its just because i don't have everything connected right..

Now that I've got everything down maybe you guys could help me from here. any advice would be appreciated. I've been looking at diagrams all day and it's hard because i don't have lights and stuff anymore. i've got a test light and ohmmeter to use. so any help would be awesome because this little things drivin me crazy!
Kenny
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tracy, California, USA
Posts: 3,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoff6 View Post
....This one had the remote start on it but i dont have that box so i'm hoping i can just bypass it....
You "bypass" remote modules simply by unplugging them. You then won't be able to shut off the engine with the ignition switch anymore (use the handlebar kill switch instead), but otherwise everything will work the same. But since I'm suspecting you don't have an ignition switch anymore this is a moot point. Do you have any kill switches at all? If not you will need to add one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoff6 View Post
...Coming from the motor (Magneto) i have 5 wires, Green, Yellow, White, which go to the rectifier, and Blue/White, Red/Black, which go to the 5 pin CDI. those are the only 2 wires that are connected to anything from the cdi, but there are three more wires coming out of the cdi i'm just not sure where they go to. there is a Green, which i think is ground, a Black/White, and a Yellow/Black which i think is supposed to hook to the coil....
Stator wires:

1) Green: ground
2) Yellow: one of two wires used to charge the battery through the voltage regulator (and has nothing to do with spark)
3) White two of two wires used to charge the battery through the voltage regulator (and has nothing to do with spark)
4) Blue/White: Timing trigger pulse to the CDI
5) Black/Red: AC Ignition power to the CDI

Other CDI Wires:

1) Green: Ground.
2) Black/White: Kill switch wiring. Ground this pin to kill spark, leave this pin disconnected to enable spark.
3) Black/Yellow: Ignition Coil. This is the output from the CDI that drives the ignition coil primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoff6 View Post
...From my solenoid i have a heavy gauge Red wire on one pole that goes to the starter and on the other pole there are two wires, one heavy gauge red wire which i think would go to battery positive and a little red wire that is hooked up to the rectifier. i'm not sure if this is right. there are two wires coming out of the middle of the solenoid, a Red/Yellow and a Green/Yellow. i'm not sure if they are hooked up right but i have the Green/Yellow grounded and the Red/yellow hooked to a push button switch and then to the battery....
All of these connections sound workable - as evidenced by the fact that you can engage the starter and crank the engine. All these wires (with the exception of the small red wire to the voltage regulator) are involved in cranking the starter motor. They have nothing to do with spark. The small red wire to the regulator is the path that usually goes to the lights, ignition switch, starter interlock circuitry, etc. It also is the path by which the voltage regulator charges up the battery.

Your two small wires to the solenoid will work they way they are wired, but note that you no longer have the safety interlock wired in which keeps the starter from being engaged unless the brakes are applied. Without this, you will be able to start the quad in gear and no brakes applied. It could take off unexpectedly and crash into your neighbor's brand new mercedes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoff6 View Post
......there is a front brake that has two wires coming from it, a Black and a Yellow/Green. they are not connected to anything . the foot brake also has two wires, same color as the front and it isn't hooked up to anything....
These would normally provide power to the brake light of course (through the ignition switch, and 12 volt fuse). But the switches are also used to provide switched battery power to the hot side of the solenoid actuating coil (the small wires) so that the start button doesn't work unless the brakes are applied (which is a really good idea if you think about it ).

Black is usually switched 12 volt power from the ignition switch (and fused, the Yellow/Green is the brake light connection and on to the the hot side of the solenoid small wires though the start button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoff6 View Post
...Right now the motor turns over i just don't have spark, and i'm thinkin its just because i don't have everything connected right..
If you don't have ground to the CDI, or the connection from the CDI output to the ignition coil then this is definate problem. Get those wired up, leave the kill switch wire disconnected for now and see if you have spark.

Two more points:

1) You *must* have an in line fuse on that small red wire to the voltage regulator. 7 amps, normal blow. It is dangerous to run a quad without a fuse. The battery can put out enough current into a short to burn up a harness in short order. The fire usually starts right under the gas tank. Fuses are cheap, so while you're rewiring things spend a coule bucks to install a fuse .

2) If you don't have a kill switch, and (god forbid!) you manage to get the quad started, you will need to ground the kill switch pin on the CDI to stop the quad. There is high voltage on that pin (100 volts or so at idle - more volts at speed). Take care to ground that pin while your fingers are safely isolated from the circuit. If you have a small alligator type test clip, connect one end to a good solid ground first, then connect the other end to the CDI kill switch pin using the insulated hood between your fingers and the metal clip

Five pin CDI for reference:

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Default cdi voltages

Thanks a ton that helps me out alot! ill get everything wired up that way and check voltages. if i use an ohmmeter does anyone know the voltages i should be getting in and out of the cdi? and also if theres anywhere els i should check?
Kenny
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tracy, California, USA
Posts: 3,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoff6 View Post
Thanks a ton that helps me out alot! ill get everything wired up that way and check voltages. if i use an ohmmeter does anyone know the voltages i should be getting in and out of the cdi? and also if theres anywhere els i should check?
Kenny
All the info you need is in this thread:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...sues-help.html
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Reply

Tags
110, 125am3, 7xngx, atv, bmx, coming, diagram, engine, fuse, inline, quad, small, wires, wiring, xiongtai



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On