1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Starter over run on 110cc quad.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter over run on 110cc quad.

Hello.

I have a FSN 110CC 4 wheeler and recently I could hear the starter accelerate up to speed after several seconds. Basically the surface between the flywheel and the sprocket show spalling, and would cause the starter to spool up due to the friction. The race for the roller clutch and springs and everything look great. Should I just clean it up or replace both parts.

Thanks

Jeff

Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would post pics but I can't yet. Basically I was wondering if there is supposed to be some kind of spacer or lube in this system.

Jeff

Old 06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well since no one knows about this problem or seems to have had this problem, I'll go on to explain how I fixed it.

Problem: Starter starts to turn due to the friction between the starter sprocket and the one way bearing. As the engine RPM's increase sometimes the starter will spin, which if done at a high enough RPM will cause the windings in the armature to spread out and become damaged on the stator magnets, requiring replacment of the starter.

Solution: I used some 80 grit 2" disks in a right angle die grinder to smooth the surface of the sprocket where it had been wearing against the one way bearing on the back of the flywheel. I then used some 120 grit then I used a convolute deburring wheel to smooth the surfaces as much as possible. I then cleaned and reinstalled the parts and applied a small amount of graphite between them. It's working great right now. We'll see how it holds up.

Regards,

Jeff

Old 06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well, i'm sorry i couldn't help you. i did see your post recently, BUT, i've never had that problem nor know what to do to fix it. sorry i couldn't help.......i'm glad you got it fixed!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So if I understand the post correctly the engine (once started) was not disconnecting from the starter via the starter clutch.

That would *really* spin up the starter motor and throw off the armature windings in the starter motor.

Did you notice any distinctive sounds that could indicate a starter motor being spun up?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn,

The starter would usually disconnect. I had it only happen a few times, but I knew that was enough to cause problems. The first time it happened I had taken my daughter for a ride around the detention pond behind our house in the back of the neighborhood. It's rather long and about a mile of driving. I got on the gas made a run down the straight and came to a stop. At that time I heard the sound of the starter starting to spin up untill it reached it's top speed for the idle of the engine. (Engine RPM X sprocket ratio X gear reduction of the starter = starter RPM)

It sounded as though something was applying a clutch to the starter slowly, and took about 4 seconds to get up to speed. Again, this was at idle. I shut the engine off, and restarted it and it did the same thing. It did it several times and I just ended up pushing it back to the house. I removed the starter and was suprised to find that instead of a gear, I found a sprocket. I looked into the case and saw the chain laying there and knew why it was so odd trying t pull the starter out. I removed the Stator cover and then removed the flywheel. Then I noticed that the sprocket that is against the backside of the one way clutch was pretty rough and showed signs that it had been rubbing against the oneway clutch. The Starter clutch was attached to the flywheel and I removed the 3 socket head cap screws. Removed the rollers, springs and followers and smoothed the surfaces.