1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

eTon Viper 150 electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
What does this mean? It's *like* an eton? Or it *is* an eton? Which?
It is the Eton Viper 150

Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer

The size is important. Look with a magnifying glass on the fuse and report back all the writing that you see on the fuse ends. If you have a fuse that is too low of a value (like 3 amps, for example) it will be blowing all the time. For a 150cc quad I would guess that it would need something in the neighborhood of ten amps.

Five pin voltage regulators do have heat sink fins on them. Do a google search for "atv 5 pin regulators" and thumb through the pictures to see if anything looks like your regulator.

Yes, unplug it and see if the fuse stops blowing (after you look carefully at the fuse and report all the writing on the fuse ends).

My thinking is like this: If you have the right value fuse installed (something like 10 amps), then to blow this fuse you would have to draw more then 10 amps. Ten amps at 12 volts = 120 watts of power. That's a lot. If you have a single component failure somewhere that is drawing 10 amps it will be smoking and emitting flames. You didn't report that.

Therefore whatever is dissipating that 120 watts of power must be physically big so that it can take that kind of power and not get hot instantly. I'm thinking that if the voltage regulator rectifier diodes inside were shorted, everytime you turn on the ignition the battery would be connected to the stator windings. They're big and would draw a lot of current - maybe and maybe not enough to blow the fuse. But if you applied an additional load (lights, starter solenoid, etc) it would certainly blow the fuse.

Your fuse doesn't blow instantly, and all the time when you turn on the ignition. That eliminates direct shorts to ground (such as a power wire that is pinched under a screw head.) If this were the case the fuse would go off like a camera flash bulb. Instantly and every time.

And once again, if you are putting in the wrong fuse (too low a value) then the fuse should blow. Make sure your fuse is around 10 amps. Whatever you do, *DO NOT* install a big fuse like 30 amps to see what will happen. You might end up with a melted wiring harness and maybe start a fire besides.
It says on it AGC 2A then on the other side of the fuse it says 250V

Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

The size is important. Look with a magnifying glass on the fuse and report back all the writing that you see on the fuse ends. If you have a fuse that is too low of a value (like 3 amps, for example) it will be blowing all the time. For a 150cc quad I would guess that it would need something in the neighborhood of ten amps.

Five pin voltage regulators do have heat sink fins on them. Do a google search for "atv 5 pin regulators" and thumb through the pictures to see if anything looks like your regulator.

Yes, unplug it and see if the fuse stops blowing (after you look carefully at the fuse and report all the writing on the fuse ends).

My thinking is like this: If you have the right value fuse installed (something like 10 amps), then to blow this fuse you would have to draw more then 10 amps. Ten amps at 12 volts = 120 watts of power. That's a lot. If you have a single component failure somewhere that is drawing 10 amps it will be smoking and emitting flames. You didn't report that.

Therefore whatever is dissipating that 120 watts of power must be physically big so that it can take that kind of power and not get hot instantly. I'm thinking that if the voltage regulator rectifier diodes inside were shorted, everytime you turn on the ignition the battery would be connected to the stator windings. They're big and would draw a lot of current - maybe and maybe not enough to blow the fuse. But if you applied an additional load (lights, starter solenoid, etc) it would certainly blow the fuse.

Your fuse doesn't blow instantly, and all the time when you turn on the ignition. That eliminates direct shorts to ground (such as a power wire that is pinched under a screw head.) If this were the case the fuse would go off like a camera flash bulb. Instantly and every time.

And once again, if you are putting in the wrong fuse (too low a value) then the fuse should blow. Make sure your fuse is around 10 amps. Whatever you do, *DO NOT* install a big fuse like 30 amps to see what will happen. You might end up with a melted wiring harness and maybe start a fire besides.
The Regulator has 6 pins on it and 5 wires coming out of it .

Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

OKay so i unplugged the regulator and the fuse didn't blow. I turned the key off then back on and the fuse still didnt blow then i was running my ATV then i tried putting the lights on they went on for 1 second then the fuse broke so for now on what should i do ? Never Turn the lights on i unplugged them and now what do i do with the regulator keep it unplugged ?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

???? Do i leave it unplug now that it doesn't break when i unplug the regulator ?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BSLICER25
OKay so i unplugged the regulator and the fuse didn't blow. I turned the key off then back on and the fuse still didnt blow then i was running my ATV then i tried putting the lights on they went on for 1 second then the fuse broke so for now on what should i do ? Never Turn the lights on i unplugged them and now what do i do with the regulator keep it unplugged ?
If you look at my last post, I asked you to look at the fuse writing carefully just to make sure it wasn't too low a value. The writing "AGC 2A" says that is a 2 amp fuse. That is *way* too low a value. Your headlights draw 3 to 4 amps, the starter solenoid draws 3 amps all by itself, and of course the brakes light must be on to statisfy the safety interlock - that's adding another amp making it four amps total draw through a 2 amp fuse. No wonder your fuse is blowing . Change that fuse to 10 amps (that's a fairly typical value for a 150cc machine). Take your 2 amp fuse down to any auto parts store, show it to them and say you want one just like it only rated at 10 amps instead of two.

Then plug your regulator back in and see if your problems are now all gone. That might be all you need to do.

If after changing the fuse it still blows then we can start again fresh since we have at least one of the problems out of the way...

Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer

If you look at my last post, I asked you to look at the fuse writing carefully just to make sure it wasn't too low a value. The writing "AGC 2A" says that is a 2 amp fuse. That is *way* too low a value. Your headlights draw 3 to 4 amps, the starter solenoid draws 3 amps all by itself, and of course the brakes light must be on to statisfy the safety interlock - that's adding another amp making it four amps total draw through a 2 amp fuse. No wonder your fuse is blowing . Change that fuse to 10 amps (that's a fairly typical value for a 150cc machine). Take your 2 amp fuse down to any auto parts store, show it to them and say you want one just like it only rated at 10 amps instead of two.

Then plug your regulator back in and see if your problems are now all gone. That might be all you need to do.

If after changing the fuse it still blows then we can start again fresh since we have at least one of the problems out of the way...
Alright thanks so much ill have to go to the auto zone today and get the new fuses. i found another fuse in the box and is said 5A i wonder if i bought fuses with a bunch of different amps

Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

I just got all of my fuses today and they are all 10A i am not going to put them on my ATV yet do to the hurricane ill update you on what happens

Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No rush. Hunker down, and I hope all goes well...

Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

No rush. Hunker down, and I hope all goes well...
Still no power i am at a office getting wifi, i tried my ATV out and the fuse broke again. When the regulator was unplug it didnt blow but when i plugged it back in thats when it blew. Also when i went in drive my atv would sometimes just blow down and spit out the muffler . I have the 10a fuses to and my dad was saying he thinks theres a short but we cant find it ! Need help quick!

Quick Reply: eTon Viper 150 electric problem