1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

eTon Viper 150 electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I assume you mean 2-3 mm (2-3 cm is roughly 1 inch). 2-3 mm means the problem isn't caused by a good solid short to ground or else the fuse element would have been vaporized and deposited on the inside of the glass envelope. Something has to drawing just a little too much current (and therefor something has to be getting really hot since 120 watts of power are being consumed), or there is an intermittent short where a wire is just brushing up with ground and is intermittent.

In an earlier post you said:

What exactly does "do the thing whens its in netral and like its giving up " mean? Does your quad do this everytime just before the fuse blows? Also could you please verify that the last fuse blew with the regulator unplugged?

Is your fuse holder one that allows you to watch the fuse while it is hooked up? If so watch the fuse after you start the quad. Does it bend in the middle (indicating it is close to the fuse current limit)?

Does the fuse blow only when the quad is in motion (with all the bumping and vibrating)? Conversely does the fuse never blow when you are sitting still with the engine idling?

I would next unplug everything that will unplug after the quad is started without stopping the engine. Things like headlights, taillights, brake switches, etc. See if you can get the quad to run without fuses blowing. If you can then plug things back in one at a time.

Also I would start up the quad and wiggle and tug on every connector and cable. See if you can move something around that blows the fuse. In particular pay attention to the regulator connector/cabling and the ignition switch area.

I don't have a wiring diagram for a 150cc eton viper. Do you know if your CDI is DC powered ot AC powered?
The wires that are unplugged are the headlights, regulator, and thats it, and when its giving up when i press the throttle it just shuts down and then the fuse sometimes blows, yes i can view the fuse while its running, i just replaced the relay starter because i thought that , that was the problem but i guess not.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

I assume you mean 2-3 mm (2-3 cm is roughly 1 inch). 2-3 mm means the problem isn't caused by a good solid short to ground or else the fuse element would have been vaporized and deposited on the inside of the glass envelope. Something has to drawing just a little too much current (and therefor something has to be getting really hot since 120 watts of power are being consumed), or there is an intermittent short where a wire is just brushing up with ground and is intermittent.

In an earlier post you said:

What exactly does "do the thing whens its in netral and like its giving up " mean? Does your quad do this everytime just before the fuse blows? Also could you please verify that the last fuse blew with the regulator unplugged?

Is your fuse holder one that allows you to watch the fuse while it is hooked up? If so watch the fuse after you start the quad. Does it bend in the middle (indicating it is close to the fuse current limit)?

Does the fuse blow only when the quad is in motion (with all the bumping and vibrating)? Conversely does the fuse never blow when you are sitting still with the engine idling?

I would next unplug everything that will unplug after the quad is started without stopping the engine. Things like headlights, taillights, brake switches, etc. See if you can get the quad to run without fuses blowing. If you can then plug things back in one at a time.

Also I would start up the quad and wiggle and tug on every connector and cable. See if you can move something around that blows the fuse. In particular pay attention to the regulator connector/cabling and the ignition switch area.

I don't have a wiring diagram for a 150cc eton viper. Do you know if your CDI is DC powered ot AC powered?
Do you think somethings getting hot near the muffler? Because the side of my ATV is getting burned by the mufler and ill check if theres a problem there, also on my 90cc eton i don't know if the jets are clogged but, when i am riding it, the throttle goes but the quad isnt really being pushed and its going really slow, when i go down a hill out the muffler it starts spitting. To me it seems somethig is clogged, when i put the gas line ON, it doesen't work as well, but when i put it on RES ( reverse) it works a bit better, and on the 150cc i am trying to unplug a whole cicuit of wires but i cant fit my hand in i'll try more :/

Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

What size is the fuse?

Try unplugging the regulator and see if it stops blowing the fuse. You can run without the regulator for long enough to test this. If it stops the fuse blowing then your regulator is bad.

I've not heard of a 150cc viper. Are you sure it is not a 50cc viper?
Okay so for about 3 months it was running fine, when this thread was made i ended up getting it going, however a couple of weeks ago my friend was doing burnouts on my eton viper 150cc and the fuse blew again, i knew exactly what had happened because of this thread. I bought AGC 10amp fuses and they kept blowing again so i am wondering if i need GMA 10a fuses? Your thoughts