1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Hensim 250-No electrical power?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hensim 250-No electrical power?

Hi,
First time on this forum, need advice please. My son has a Hensim 250cc sport atv (HSATV705) and it has no power. Battery fully charged, no headlights, no power to indicator lights, etc. Tried pull starting, no go. Can turn starter over via "screwdriver" trick, but no spark.

Where should I start checking?

What other models are the same as the Hensim? ( I can't find schematic, manuals, or anything about this atv, it's like it never existed!)

Thanks, Mike

Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you've checked wiring connections? does the battery have an inline fuse on the positive wire? if so, is it good? your key switch, do you have power there when the key is in the "on" position(use multimeter/ohm meter)? have you checked the back of the keyed ignition switch to make sure the wiring is connected? the keyed ignition will obviously kill the spark even though you can turn it over via solenoid/screwdriver trick...

Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

by the way, welcome the forums!
i found this website, scroll towards the bottom, look under the 250 and you'll see a manual for the quad.

HENSIM USA

you may have to register with them to get it. maybe it'll help also.
by the way, that sucker looks like a 2007 honda trx250ex. dang near a spitting image of my honda.....nice looking chinese quad though!
p.s. when i'm sitting on a post waiting on replies, i hit refresh/F5 once a minute to see if there is a reply or not. just FYI......it kind of speeds up responses if others are viewing it simultaneously as you....

Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jaster, Thanks! I did check ing. switch, power is up there, checked all connectors,no fusable links found anywhere. I did find out regulator isn't putting out any voltage, would that affect CDI also?
Hensim USA is dead link, they went out of business, and left behind no parts info, manuals etc. Looks like a trx, but engine is mounted in a chain-drive style.(ie. not sideways)

Old 10-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

hmmm..... i know some of the electrical system, but i'm still learning that from LYNNEDWARDS. he's the electrical man. along with LT80 & mywifesquad and others. Lynn will be on soon. he can answer your detailed questions along with the other guys. sorry, but i tried...... hmmm.. one last thing, not sure if your quad is equipped with it, but a safety interlock could be needing to be activated by engaging the left handlebar hand brake so the brake switch will make. that's standard on the small quads, i just don't know if the larger ones have the same safety feature or not....

Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Left hand brake is a clutch! I don't see clutch switch, gear indicator switch affecting power to entire machine?

I should have said that all these issues started after my 10yo son got a little **** washing it with the power washer. lol

I have also checked kill switch for continuity, as the starter switch.

Hopefully it is something stupid that I'm overlooking

Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sorry, didn't know it was a manual shift quad......power washer...hmmm., yeah, those have a tendency to make your cdi/rectifier/and other electronics go haywire due to the way they're sealed, or lack thereof. good luck, and like i said, the real experts will be online soon. they'll see this post and jump on it. i'm just a shadetree......good luck.....

Old 10-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So far Jaster94's advice has been very good. The first thing to do is to check the fuse. All quads have fuses (not fusable links). If your quad does not have a fuse then it has hacked wiring and is in a dangerous configuration. Quad batteries can put out enough current into a fault to melt wires and start fires instantly - maybe right under your gas tank. Fuses are there to prevent this type of disaster.

So look again. You must have a fuse. It will usually be mounted in a holder and will be very close to the positive battery terminal. It should have a values something around 10 amps.

From the fuse the 12 volt battery power is switched on and off by the ignition switch. How many wires on your ignition switch? What are their colors? The next thing to do (after the fuse bit) is to see if power is getting to the ignition switch, and then see if it is getting through the ignition switch to other stuff when the ignition switch in turned on.

You jumped across the solenoid and got the starter to turn. That was a very informative test since it proves the battery is up to snuff as well as the starter and all the big heavy wires feeding the starter (including the ground return)

Since you don't have lights (headlights and indicator lights), and since your don't have spark even with the ignition switch on and pull starting (or jumping the starter solenoid), this suggests your CDI is DC powered (as compared to AC powered from the stator). But another possibility is that the kill switch half of the ignition switch is broken too, and that is preventing spark on an AC powered CDI via the CDI kill switch input.

First find and check the fuse. Then report back the wire colors on the ignition switch. Finally get a meter ready. We can then check the ignition switch, the wires feeding (or leaving) the ignition switch, check whether you have a DC or AC powered CDI, check the kill switch circuitry at the CDI, etc. These are a lot of different possible directions to go. The path taken will depend on data collected along the way....

Regulator problems are a separate issue unrelated to *no spark* problems as long as the battery can crank the starter motor at normal speeds. Get your quad making spark first, then address charging issues if it turns out to be a problem. But use a motorcycle battery charger to keep your battery charged in the meantime, or a ruined quad battery is in your future. Batteries that are not kept topped off are damaged over time. Do not charge your little quad battery at anything over 2 amps.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lynne, thanks for your help! so far this is what I got:

Battery Good
Fuse Good
Power at Ign. switch (4wire, grn,blk,red,bk/wht)
6-pin CDI "4+2 config, GY6 style" Is this an AC CDI ? No power comming out, but not sure if I checked right?
5-pin Regulator (0 volts)

Spark plug cleaned and gaped

Unsure how to check handlebar "Blob"

Old 10-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On your ignition switch you got power to the red wire I presume. Correct? Turn on the ignition switch and you should have power to the black wire. Do you have power to the black wire when the ignition switch is on? Just as a double check, also make sure you *don't* have power to the black wire when the ignition switch is *off*.

Six pin (4 & 2) CDIs can be DC powered off 12 volts DC, or powered off moderately high voltage from the stator. They are *not* compatible, and unfortunately look the same. I have a generic paste in procedure on how to check which kind you have, and then separate prodedures from there on how to troubleshoot no spark problems on DC or AC CDI's. But they're at home and I'm on the road at the moment using a borrowed computer. I can post those procedures when I get back sunday afternoon.

You'll need a meter to do any CDI tests.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you didn't measure "power" at the CDI output. That is actually not a straight forward thing to do. Are you using a test light? If so, forget it - you are wasting your time. You need a meter, and even then there are some pitfalls and uncertainties - but there is some valuable info that can be gathered with a meter for CDI outputs and inputs, where a test light gives no information at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hensim 250-No electrical power?