1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110 D TaoTao won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was referring to a spark From the starter. i dont see any kind Of spark At all when i hook starter directly to battery. Im hearing the click Sound From the starter relay (the small device with the 2 poles on it)) but thats about it. I also read on another thread where someone said to touch both poles with scredriver to see if anything happens but nothing happened

Old 08-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gree
I was referring to a spark From the starter. i dont see any kind Of spark At all when i hook starter directly to battery. Im hearing the click Sound From the starter relay (the small device with the 2 poles on it)) but thats about it. I also read on another thread where someone said to touch both poles with scredriver to see if anything happens but nothing happened
Now I'm confused. If you only hook the battery directly to the starter the starter will turn (of course since 12 volts across the starter will make it go), but what is this "click" sound. That is not right. Hooking the starter up directly to the battery should *not* involve any "click" from the solenoid. This makes no sense. Are you sure about this? Please redo this experiment and report back.

Shorting across the solenoid (touching together both screw posts) is the same thing as hooking the starter directly to the battery (note no "click" from the starter solenoid is involved in this).

Old 08-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Range Rover
Exclamation

Sorry to say this gree, but you will need to *rip* apart your starter Look at it and see if anything is loose, damaged, etc. It might be repairable but that is a slight chance. If it is you will have to do some kung fu to put it back together.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok , maybe i made a mistake in explaining. When i hook up everything like it is supposed to be AND switch the key on,hold brake AND push the start button i only hear a click Sound From the starter realay (the small device with the Two screws poles). Ok thats one scenerio. Now when i put the ground AND the positive directly to the starter i (dont hear a click Sound) i dont get anything, not even a spark or a sound.

I Hope i cleared up what i explained earlier. Should that happen? Does that mean the starter is bad? Im going to take starter off today. Ill get a voltage meter too. Thanks

Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update ok, i pulled the starter off AND touch the pos AND neg directly From battery AND it turned but when i tried to touch the pos AND neg again the starter wouldnt turn unless i manually spinned it with my hands. Soryy for the run on sentence AND mis spellings, i just wanted to get this report back to u.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Range Rover
Exclamation

It's probably your starter brushes/armature/commutator, you will have to *rip* apart your starter You can use this as a guide: How to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter • GL1100 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com it will show the basic things.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Electrical Expert

Ok , maybe i made a mistake in explaining. When i hook up everything like it is supposed to be AND switch the key on,hold brake AND push the start button i only hear a click Sound From the starter realay (the small device with the Two screws poles). Ok thats one scenerio. Now when i put the ground AND the positive directly to the starter i (dont hear a click Sound) i dont get anything, not even a spark or a sound.

I Hope i cleared up what i explained earlier. Should that happen? Does that mean the starter is bad? Im going to take starter off today. Ill get a voltage meter too. Thanks
Yes this all makes sense now...

Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Electrical Expert

Update ok, i pulled the starter off AND touch the pos AND neg directly From battery AND it turned but when i tried to touch the pos AND neg again the starter wouldnt turn unless i manually spinned it with my hands. Soryy for the run on sentence AND mis spellings, i just wanted to get this report back to u.
Sounds like a bad starter motor.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

How can I take a pic of a part on the starter for your review and evaluation?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by cesar110
It's probably your starter brushes/armature/commutator, you will have to *rip* apart your starter You can use this as a guide: How to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter • GL1100 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com it will show the basic things.
I haven't yet looked at Cesar110's link, but I agree with him in principle. Before buying a new starter I would take apart the old one and look see. There is nothing to lose by trying. I've fixed my neighbors after finding a corroded brush holder which kept the brush spring from pushing it into a good connection with the commutator. An easy cleanup fix, and I replaced the o-ring that leaked in the offending saltwater (my neighbor drove it in the surf at the beach!). Two years later, when he sold it, it was still working fine.

I think it was Cesar110 again who wrote about having to use Kung Fu to put it back together again. Yeah, it was tough (my quad is 150cc GY6). But it is possible with a little ingenuity. Again you have nothing to lose...

Quick Reply: 110 D TaoTao won't start