1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Loncin 90cc quad faulty electrics

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loncin 90cc quad faulty electrics

Hi need a little help with my quad
last week it was running fine although i had to jump it from the car
then this week installed new battery and started fine was left running for a few minute to warm up then died
would not start again drained the battery
so tried to jump it from the car again would start for a few seconds then die again
then it wouldnt even turn over it had blown the main fuse
replaced fuse and when i press starter button the fuse blows straight away
so i replaced fuse again and tried to start it from the remote start
which blew the red ten amp fuse under the front light which is near what i think is the cdi unit
any advise would be great thanks

Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Unplug the voltage regulator.

Replace the fuse and jump your quad battery to your car again. Try and start it up and see if the fuse blowing has stopped.

You said that a new charged battery drained quickly after it died. What is not clear in your post is whether the battery was drained by repeated cranking of the starter motor after your quad died, or the battery was already dead when the quad engine died. This is really important info...

If you still blow fuses with the regulator unplugged then that is a different path to take....

If you don't blow fuses with the regulator unplugged, and the quad starts and runs (you may have to leave the jumper cables connected during this test), then your regulator is bad.

In any case you must get your new battery charged back up ASAP or it will be quickly ruined. Batteries must always be stored charged up or the sulfate up and become worthless. And don't charge it at more than 2 amps - that wrecks quad batteries as well.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi the battery drained from constant cranking
also i was advised to short the solonoid which i did
and the engine started up
but still wont start from the switch or the remote
also where is the voltage regulator i will try it tomorrow

Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Electrical Expert

The voltage regulator probably looks like this:

Name:  110ccRegulator4Pin.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  23.2 KB

When you jumped the solenoid and the quad started up, was the fuse still blown when you did that?

Find your CDI. How many pins?

Is this a two cycle engine or four cycle?

What exactly do you have to do to blow the fuse? Does it blow when you turn on the ignition switch? When you push the start button? Is it random?

What is the value of your fuse in amps? If you don't know how to determine this then post all the text on both the fuse ends.

When you look at the blown fuse, is the fuse element inside completely vaporized with a silver black sheen all over the inside of the glass? Or is the fuse element just broken with a "small" melted gap in the middle?

And please do the "unplug the regulator" test in the last post.

All the above results are clues to the puzzle....

Old 11-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Never jump an ATV from a car battery. It's 12v but low amps. You will fry the electrical system. Charge the battery with a battery tender type device when ever it sits and you won't have this problem in the future. That sucks...

Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've jumped quad batteries and lawn tractor batteries from my car batteries and have not had any long term problems. true you want to slow charge them, but jumping them off every now and then seems to do fine.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by TCNJ
Never jump an ATV from a car battery. It's 12v but low amps. You will fry the electrical system. Charge the battery with a battery tender type device when ever it sits and you won't have this problem in the future. That sucks...
Why would you think that increasing the maximum amount of current you could draw would make any difference at all? The amount of current that flows out of the battery is dependent on the battery voltage (which you correctly pointed out is 12 volts in both cases) and the load - not how much current is available.

When you turn on the dome light in your car it draws about 100 mA (0.1 amps). The fact that the car battery can put out hundreds of amps is meaningless. The dome light draws 100 mA at 12 volts. That's all.

On the quad the starter motor draws around 35 amps when connected across a charged and working quad battery. If you connect that same starter motor across a truck or car battery it will draw the same 35 amps.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know this is a old thread but I have a loncin 90cc atv blows main fuse. Ive replaced the cdi,rectifier handle bar switches. It has a new starter and solenoid which I never replaced done before me. Any help would be appreciated.