1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kazuma 110 weak spark--need help

Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad you got it working YoungOne . I hope you back surgery goes well. My neighbor had back surgery a few months ago. It made a world of difference for him. There was a week of being pretty sore (but not incapacitated), and now he's pain free for the first time in 15 years.

Originally Posted by YOUNGONE
Mr. Edwards, as i said in last post i've been down and looks like back surgery around the corner--anyway after testing cdi decided to replace with known good part and no change. Then remove all plastic to see wires better and wahla--short on hard wired battery maintainer to positive side and arc spots all along inside frame . Repaired wire and insulated and put back together..runs great now and has for a couple weeks--didnt want to post until i was sure.thanks for all your help in keeping me from just being another parts replacer..

Old 03-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help weak spark?

I need help i have a 110 quad with weak spark when cranking engine holding spark plug to engine, then spark disappears and try it again a few time spark reappears but weak?

To troubleshoot no spark problems on a 4 pin DC powered CDI it makes sense to start in the middle (the CDI), measure as much as we can and branch out from there. For the CDI to do its thing it needs power and ground, and a trigger pulse.
Click the image to open in full size.

1) Unplug the CDI. Turn the ignition switch on. Set all kill switches to the the "run" position. Use
a meter to measure the DC voltage on the pin labeled "AC ignition power" Ignition coil in pic? in the wiring harness to the ground wire on the 20 volt DC scale. You should read battery voltage (12 volts). What do you measure?

I have no power here?

2) Leave the CDI unplugged. Use a meter to measure the resistance of the "Ignition Trigger Pulse" pin in the wiring harness to the ground wire on the 2K ohm scale. You should read approximately 150 ohms. What do you measure?

I have 113 ohms here

3) Set your meter down to the lowest scale you have for measuring AC volts. 2 volts would be ideal, but some meters don't go that low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. While cranking the engine, measure the voltage on the Ignition Trigger Pulse pin in the wiring harness to the ground pin. You should measure 0.2 to 0.5 volts AC. What do you measure?

No reading here

4) Now plug the CDI back in. Measure the AC voltage on the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin using the 200 volt scale. If you have to, use a sewing pin to poke through the wire insulation and then put the meter probe on the sewing pin. But don't hold your fingers on the connection during the next test - there may be high voltage here when the engine is turning. With the ignition on and all kill switches set to the "run" position, crank the starter motor. You should see voltages bouncing around at random values and the meter captures all or part of a spark event. What do you see?

this reads bouncing voltage