1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

crossed jumper cable. blew fuse. no electric start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok well whenever i jump the solenoid the atv will start and the electrics will work. but after a minute or so the lights will shut off and and it's as if there is no more electrics but my battery is brand new. i have to do the dmm test on my electrics when i find time

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

although i've never reversed the polarity on a quad, i did accidentally do it years ago on a car when i was a teenager. the only thing i remember that burned up was a ground wire and i lost headlights/etc....i tend to think you may be down to a faulty wiring issue as Lynn has stated. somewhere, of which you'll find with a meter with a lot of testing, you'll find an incomplete circuit due to a wiring fault. be patient, it'll take some time, but you'll get there. it's been my experience with my chinese quads that the wire gauge is at the bare minimum to carry the electricity(cheap wires). over time, i've upgraded the wire gauges whenever i've had wiring issues with them.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

should the quad be on or off during these tests?

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I can think of lots of things - bad connectors, broken wires, and bad parts too - perhaps even the new ones you've thrown in there making the problem much more complicated than before because now you two (or more) problems. There is only one correctly wired up and functioning scenario to have a working quad, but the incorrect / non functioning scenarios are almost limitless.

I really doubt your coil is involved in this at all. There is no 12 volt anything going to your coil. In fact there is no 12 volt anything going to your whole ignition system.

To solve these types of problems you are going to have to use your meter and follow the wiring. Put your meter black lead on a good ground and leave it there. Take your red lead and start following the voltages:

1) 12 volts at the battery
2) 12 volts at the fuse input side
3) 12 volts at the fuse output side
4) 12 volts at the ignition switch input
5) switched 12 volts at the ingition switch output (switched on and off with the ignition switch)
6) 12 volts at the brake switch input side (ignition switch on)
7) 12 volts at the brake switch output side (when brakes are applied - also check to see if the brake light is lit up).
8) 12 volts at both sides of the starter solenoid small input wires (ignition on and brakes applied and brake light on).
9) One side of the solenoid input wires get grounded (goes to zero volts) when you push the start button.

This should not be a hard problem to solve. You just follow the wires with your meter. You have a wiring diagram. Yet for some reason, for reasons I can't begin to fathom, you refuse to do this. What can I say? You can lead a horse to water...

I'm pretty much done here unless you want to get with the program .

Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
This makes no sense to me. Is this still in the archives somewhere? I'd be very interested in reading it if it is. I'm trying to think of any scenario where an excess of current capability would be catastrophic. I can't think of any.
It is here somewhere but was in a "my quad has a dead battery" thread.. and was about 5-6 yrs ago.. We have had as lot of experts in the time Ive been here.. few have stood the test of time..

Thanks for the explanations of every possibility.. I really appreciate the time it takes you to share your knowledge here.. and I learn something..

Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by pvillefball421
should the quad be on or off during these tests?
On.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

ok im going to do test tonight but i found from testing battery while its running, it doesnt charge the battery

Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

In that case.... I would do the tests with the engine running and with it off.. key on for both tests..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

i did some test tonight and i found with the quad off i got 12v at the battery, 12v at fuse input side 12v at fuse output side. when you say
measure at the ignition switch input
then switched 12 volts at the ignition switch output (switched on and off with the ignition switch)
then 12 volts at the brake switch input side (ignition switch on).

what does that mean the wires that come from the brake down to the harness?

when i measured the volts on the starter solenoid i got 12v for one post and the other read 0 volts.

this is on a gy6 for everyone thank you

Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My comments embedded in blue...

Originally Posted by pvillefball421
i did some test tonight and i found with the quad off i got 12v at the battery, 12v at fuse input side 12v at fuse output side. when you say
measure at the ignition switch input
then switched 12 volts at the ignition switch output (switched on and off with the ignition switch)
then 12 volts at the brake switch input side (ignition switch on). [At the ignition swith you have 4 wires (right?) What are their colors? One of those wires (probably red) should be 12 volts all the time since it comes from the output side of the fuse (which you already said has 12 volts on it). One of those wires (probably black) should also have 12 volts DC on it *only* when the ignition switch is on. When the ignition switch is off this same wire should have zero volts. Let's get this far first before getting muddled in too much other stuff . One step at a time... Do you measure 12 volts DC on a wire out of the ignition switch when on, and zero volts when the ignition switch is off?]

what does that mean the wires that come from the brake down to the harness?

when i measured the volts on the starter solenoid i got 12v for one post and the other read 0 volts. [There are four connection to the starter solenoid. Two big screw posts, and two little wires that come in through a connector. I'm assuming you are measuring the voltages on the two big screw posts to ground. One measures 12 volts and one measures zero volts. All this measurement says is that your starter solenoid isn't hooking up the battery to the starter motor - but we already know this because your starter isn't turning. There is no information here...

What about the small wires to the start solenoid? This is what you need to measure. Measure both of them on the 20 volt DC scale to ground. You need to measure them while the solenoid is hooked up to the harness, and attempting to start the quad (ignition on, brake on [and brake lit up], and start button pushed). If you have to, use a sewing pin to poke through the wire insulation to allow your meter to connect to the copper wire core. What do you measure? ]

this is on a gy6 for everyone thank you

Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

well it turns out last night i cleaned my battery connections, and cleaned the connections for the stator, today i turned the key and the lights went on.. im so happy, i have to jiggle my key around though because sometimes the lights will turn off even though the key is in the on position.

Quick Reply: crossed jumper cable. blew fuse. no electric start