1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

a Few problems solved and a few to tackle

Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a Few problems solved and a few to tackle

after much research, I discovered with the help of many here that I have a 2004 Kazuma 150 cc Dingo with a GY6 engine. I was able to replace the spark plug, filter box, battery, put a winch on and wire it up correctly and get it running somewhat decent.
after all this work, it still runs a little rough. What I mean is that once it is started (sometimes takes a little going when below 32 degrees) it will often die out when I hit the throttle. Once it is warmed up really well (if I run it for about 30-45 minutes) it runs ok, it sometimes will stall out.

I am wondering if I need to clean the carb out really well. I am terrified of this because I have very little experience with small engine repair and I fear I would destroy the carb.

I would think it might be easier to just replace it for $50

If it really is easy to just remove it and clean it without screwing anything up, I would love to do it, I would need step by step instruction. Is there any place I can find step by step directions to do this on my engine?

if there is a link please let me know.

thank you so much to those that have helped me in the past and in the future.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Bump with new signature

Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

granted, the carb in the video may not be identical to your carb, but the procedure is the same. i don't recommend using a drill!
be very careful when pulling the float assembly and needle valve, pay particular attention to how they come apart so as to reverse your actions when installing them(use a Qtip for cleaning out where the needle valve inserts). be careful pulling the jets. they'll take some abuse from the screwdriver, but please don't strip the driving groove. if this video is insufficient, peruse through youtube and you'll find more.
plus, it never hurts to have 2 carbs. one online on the quad and the other one ready to go in your toolbox

how to clean a carb on a ATV - YouTube

Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, great link. Do I need to know how many turns each jet was screwed in?

Also, is that it? Just clean jets and replace everything, no soaking of bowl?

Seems like about a 1 hour job

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you can soak the bowl while cleaning the jets and needle seat and seat area. i use Qtips in the needle seat area and other tight fitting areas. i also use an old electric toothbrush (battery powered anyway), that'll help scrub too. with the jets, i use an oxy/acetylene torch tip cleaner pack for the jet orifices. you can use a thin gauge wire, guitar string, wire off of a wire brush, etc.....
use aerosal carb cleaner and compressed air also. make sure you see daylight through the orifices. as you get better, it can take as little as 20 minutes to clean a carb. but please pay very close attention to how everything comes out so you know the positioning of the items upon reinstallation. good luck and let us know!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Trailblazer

Jaster, you might try adjusting it before tearing it apart. 2manytoys posted a how to sticky on the main part of the Chinese Quads forum as the first thread. I have a very cold blooded Marshin I bought new and that thread was a life saver. I still find I have to "lean it down" some in the summer and richen it a little in the winter. Seems to be no sweet spot. Give it a read. You're only out a few minutes if it don't work. Good luck.

Denny

Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

Would I be adjusting the throttle jet or idle jet?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

On my Marshin, I have to adjust the air/fuel screw. You're not adjusting jets, you're adjusting a needle screw in the idle circuit which allows more or lesst fuel to get to the idle port. It also allows a little more fuel in the main circuit. Mine cuts out during rapid acceleration if it isn't adjusted for summer or winter as well as rough idle. Have you tried feathering the choke a little when it's cold? If that helps, I'd definitely try to adjust the air/fuel screw first. Hope that made sense and helped.

Denny

Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Tried feathering to no avail. I will try to adjust this first

Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DennyRoark
Jaster, you might try adjusting it before tearing it apart. 2manytoys posted a how to sticky on the main part of the Chinese Quads forum as the first thread. I have a very cold blooded Marshin I bought new and that thread was a life saver. I still find I have to "lean it down" some in the summer and richen it a little in the winter. Seems to be no sweet spot. Give it a read. You're only out a few minutes if it don't work. Good luck.

Denny
thanks! the reason i said that is because i like to start at "ground zero". remove anomalies/abnormalities and then begin. i want to know what i'm dealing with on the inside of the carb before i mess with the outside. but like you said, i'm only out a few minutes either way. i either read the post and/or tear the carb apart. either way, both are good pieces of info.
but yes you are correct, that thread is great! thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a Few problems solved and a few to tackle