1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao tao 150-carb clean now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao tao 150-carb clean now won't start

Hi everyone. I recently posted on here and received help and am hoping to do the same again. I had a problem with my atv bogging and was told to clean the carb. I did that and ended up with the same problem so I just took it off to clean it again. The jets were clogged and so I thought I solved the problem. After I put the carb back on (the exact same way I did so before) the atv will not start. When I push the starter button it sounds like it wants to go but maybe isn't getting gas? When I push the throttle to give it has it makes a noise as if I'm pushing it but no gas is going through. I've tried emptying the gas and re putting it in and also have checked to make sure everything is the way it should be and it seems to be exactly right. There is not a gas shut off switch so I know that it is not that. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default had the same trouble

Originally Posted by Sassinm1
Hi everyone. I recently posted on here and received help and am hoping to do the same again. I had a problem with my atv bogging and was told to clean the carb. I did that and ended up with the same problem so I just took it off to clean it again. The jets were clogged and so I thought I solved the problem. After I put the carb back on (the exact same way I did so before) the atv will not start. When I push the starter button it sounds like it wants to go but maybe isn't getting gas? When I push the throttle to give it has it makes a noise as if I'm pushing it but no gas is going through. I've tried emptying the gas and re putting it in and also have checked to make sure everything is the way it should be and it seems to be exactly right. There is not a gas shut off switch so I know that it is not that. Thanks for any help.
Check the O-ring on the intake, had the same problem and there was an air leak there.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 125 taotao wont start..

Originally Posted by Harley161
Check the O-ring on the intake, had the same problem and there was an air leak there.
OK..i will check o-ring on intake but what exactly am I looking for? My problem is that I have a no start with my 125 taotao. I checked for spark at cylinder and fuel to carb and both appear to be ok. So now I will check the o-ring at intake. What am I looking for in terms of issues related to the o-ring intake? The atv was gased up and running just fine two months ago and it did start briefly.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Crimped

Just look to see if it is crimped or torn, getting too much air can cause this. Another culprit could be the slide on top of the carb, this can be installed backwards...I also did this on mine. On start up all I got was bogging and messing with the choke caused it to race. Easiest way to see about the slide- there is a notch on the side of the slide and this must be sitting on the idle screw for adjusting gas flow.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sassinm1:
i just posted this on another thread but it bears repeating:

ok, glad you soaked it. that'll help you repair it correctly now. not that you didn't do a good job, you just lack a few steps. don't worry, we're here to help and don't get mad or upset. there's a few more steps you need to complete to get this thing going correctly.
you're flooding the carb cause your float/needle valve is sticking open. remove the carb and disassemble it again. remove the float and spring. see the needle valve? it's the little barrel looking plug. remove it from its hole and clean it with a Qtip and carb cleaner. use compressed air from your air comp or canned air. make sure any varnish or solids is removed along with any cotton strands that may have come off of the Qtip.
now remove the jets. physically clean them with a guitar string, wire, or what i use is an oxy/acetylene torch tip cleaner pack. .

rod out the orifices and down the center of both jets. you need to see unobstructed daylight through all holes in the jets. even a little piece of sand/solids can make your engine stall/bog or not idle. reinstall all pieces and fire it up.
here's a hyperlink to help you out. now your carb may not be identical to the ones in the videos, but the principle is the same.

now, notice in video, that the float is attached to a silver looking armature with a split tab in the center, the needle valve is located under that on the carb side and that's what actuates the valve in/out to control the gasoline coming in to control the gasoline level in the float bowl. that is what needs to be cleaned to prevent the valve from sticking open/closed. report back with updates or questions. have a good'en! take notes or pics if you need to so the reassembly will go good for you.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I bought a taotao 125 and it ran great for the first two months and it sat with gas in it for a month and would not start after. it turns over and has spark and gas flow to carb but will not start. What should I do or how can I diagnose no start without a manual?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is the spark plug wet with gasoline?
try this conservatively!!!!!!!! crank the engine, spray a small shot/amount of ether/starting fluid into the air filter. did the quad start up and run on that shot of starting fluid? if so, then you have a fuel delivery issue. clean the carb/jets. if it didn't start on ether, then we'll look at doing something else.