1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

90cc monsoon wont start with start button.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did what you all instructed me to do and connect the two thick red wires. As oon as I did, the starter spun right over. Thank you. Next step please. I still have no spark, but Im being patient and following your instructions beacause you know more than I do. Just hungry for more info. LynnEdwards sorry I was very sleepy this morning and hope that my response to Mr. Edwards did not offend or insult you. I am very antious to ride my little quad again. Ill be waiting on my next set of instructions. Thanx again.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chefph@aol
i did what you all instructed me to do and connect the two thick red wires. As oon as i did, the starter spun right over. Thank you. Next step please. I still have no spark, but im being patient and following your instructions beacause you know more than i do....
I don't know that much about monsoon quads. We're going to have to muddle through this. Below I'm going to post two wiring diagrams - one listed as a monsoon diagram, and another sundiro diagram. See if any of those looks like your quad.

The solenoid that you jumped across to crank the starter motor is not the CDI. I's not clear in your post if you you're confusing the solenoid with the CDI, or if you have more info from Luke that I'm not privy to.

i...just hungry for more info. Lynnedwards sorry i was very sleepy this morning and hope that my response to mr. Edwards did not offend or insult you. I am very antious to ride my little quad again. Ill be waiting on my next set of instructions. Thanx again.
Why would I be offended? You've done nothing wrong. It is possible for someone to offend me. A classic example is a person posting that they are just too busy to come back to the forum to check for the answer, so could I call them at some long distance number between the hours of 9:00 to 10:00 AM east coast time... [that's 6:00 AM for me...]. Don't worry about offending me - I've tough skin .

90cc monsoon wont start with start button.-monsoon2.jpg

90cc monsoon wont start with start button.-sundiro.jpg

Can you find the CDI on your quad based on the above diagrams? Do the wire colors match up at all? [click on or hover on the thumbnails to get a big picture]

Once we find the CDI, the next step is similar to all CDIs:

1) Measure the power to the CDI
2) Measure the trigger signal to the CDI
3) Make sure the kill switch input to the CDI is not telling the CDI to kill the spark
4) Measure the output of the CDI to the ignition coil.

Got a meter? Tests lights don't cut it....

Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

sorry LYNN I know you are the resident expert and I have found many of your posts useful but it seems I missed something. How did it make sense to jump from shorting the silinoid to prepare to test the cdi? The road I would have traved would have been different.
I would ask how he checked the fuse visually? Or did you use a multimeter? Replace with one you know is good? I've seen many fuses that 'look good' that have no continuity? Being everything died the fuse sounds most likely. Ok I assuming you are double checking the fuse is good (saves time in fourm setting) you said you were riding in the rain, did you pull the wiring connectors apart and check for water? Also look to see if something came loose/disconnected (can be tricky cause some quads have extra connectors for unused options). Then have someone look at the brake light make sure it comes on when you hit the brakes (or if comes on with the key will get brighter). The water, loose connector, and double checking the fuse could kill

Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

both the starter and spark in one whack. The brake light test shows if those safety switches are working. Also I've read some have a kill switch under the seat but I dont know anything about them really or if you have one on this quad.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
. Oh check the inline fuse first before doing the above mention
Originally Posted by luke95gxe
the fuse should be right off the battery with a small red wire coming off the positive terminal
Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Luke95gxe asked you (quite correctly) to check the fuse to see if it is blown. Have you done that?
Mr. Edwards, thank you for your pictures and yes it is the cdi that the thick positive wire leads to. Also, Yes I did check the fuse and it was fine. So, Ill go out in a few minutes and do like both of you suggest. And I will keep you posted on the results and we will go from there. Thanks Guys! Oh and as I have been researching and from what I see. It Is the same as yerf but decal w/ vin# on it sais monsoon.
we did ask him to check the fuse

Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

I saw that my question was how he checked it. Many people will pull them out and visually inspect them. As I said before I've seen countless fuses that 'look good' but have no continuity. And if all he did was visual then he needs to recheck it by taking a test light touching it to one end and touching the other end to the battery, using the continuity beeper on a multimeter and touching both ends and listen for a beep, or find something that uses same fuse shove his in there to see if it still works. If he has done one of the later he can skip that step, if not the fuse is suspect and could have everyone trying to help chasing our tails.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by mudmike
sorry LYNN I know you are the resident expert and I have found many of your posts useful but it seems I missed something. How did it make sense to jump from shorting the silinoid to prepare to test the cdi? The road I would have traved would have been different....
Nothing to be sorry about, I like the idea of people challenging my ideas. It keeps me on my toes, and sometimes I learn things that way .

The original post was that the quad was that the quad starter wouldn't turn with the starter button. After jumping the solenoid (and checking the fuse) an additonal complaint was posted that was no spark. To the best of my knowledge the monsoon 90cc quads have AC powered ignition systems, so fuse blown or not he should be getting spark. Hence an additional focus on the CDI.

...I would ask how he checked the fuse visually? Or did you use a multimeter? Replace with one you know is good? I've seen many fuses that 'look good' that have no continuity? Being everything died the fuse sounds most likely. l
Yes, I have seen that myself. But a blown fuse wouldn't prevent spark when jumping the solenoid on AC powered ignition systems.

...Ok I assuming you are double checking the fuse is good (saves time in fourm setting) you said you were riding in the rain, did you pull the wiring connectors apart and check for water? Also look to see if something came loose/disconnected (can be tricky cause some quads have extra connectors for unused options). Then have someone look at the brake light make sure it comes on when you hit the brakes (or if comes on with the key will get brighter). The water, loose connector, and double checking the fuse could kill
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think these quads have brake lights (or headlights). Perhaps Chefph can shed some light on this...

In looking at the diagrams again while composing this post I do see that there is something in common between the igntion system and the starter engaging system: The ignition switch, and the left handlebar "on" switch (not to be confused with the start button). Both of these need to be wired up and working for the starter motor to engage *and* to get spark when jumping the solenoid. So that makes is more likely that the problem is here since a sudden failure is likely due to one cause - not two happening simultaneously.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

sorry didn't look at the diagram and missed the cdi being AC. He said he rode in the rain and got 2 different electrical problems so my mind just assumed DC and targeted things that could kill both.

Was reading a thread the other day on a 90cc that had a kill switch under the seat. Dont know if this quad has one. I'm just a shade tree guy myself, but if it has one it should be wired to kill spark. I wander if it could also interupt the start circut?

Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

the hand written diagram looks more like mine. and i checked the fuse visually goin right now to get more so tomorrow we will see if its the fuse

Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Electrical Expert

Note that on the hand drawn diagram these following things must be wired properly and working for the starter solenoid to close (in addition to the fuse):

1) The left handlebar start button
2) The Left handlebar on/off switch
3) The Ignition switch
4) The starter solenoid acuating coil (the two small wires feed inside the solenoid)
5) All the wiring that interconnects these items

For you to get spark when jumping the solenoid the following must also work:

1) The ignition switch
2) The left handlebar on/off switch
3) The rear tether pull cord
4) The CDI
5) The CDI trigger signal
6) THe CDI AC Ignition power from the stator
7) The ignition coil
8) The spark plug
9) All the wiring interconnecting these items

Notice how the ignition switch and the left handlebar switch are common to the two different symptoms, so you might want to look extra careful at these to items plus their wiring.

Quick Reply: 90cc monsoon wont start with start button.