1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Starter struggles to turn engine over.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take each valve to the top, should be alitttle play between rocker arm & valve.

That's normal there is a oil passage way that feeds to exhaust side.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Anyone figure this out?

I have a Buyang group ltd. 110 CC ATV doing this exact same thing. I have a new starter and a new Solenoid along with a new battery. It turns the motor over great when the spark plug is out. but as soon as it hits its compression stroke it will not turn it over with the plug in. any help would be great if you guys figured this out.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

Make sure battery is charged enough or put a jumper box or cables on it.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have used different batteries. I pulled the one out of my running John deere Lawn tractor and it does the same thing. I have noticed it pulls the battery down to about 7.3Vdc when I am attempting to start it. I am going to clean up some wire connections tonight and see if it helps. Does anyone know what would be drawing my battery so low while attempting to start? I know it is not a battery issue. Thank you guys

Old 04-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I have figured it out and have the little wheeler running like a top. It was nice to be able to read so many replies that helped me run in different directions and finally get this fixed. After all my head banging It was the + battery wire, someone spliced in a remote alarm system thing and did a very poor job of it. I replaced the ring terminal and it cranked over. then played with the new carb and had it dialed in after about 15 min of running.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice follow up. Thanks for that.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you get this resolved? I have a Chinese quad with exact issue. I have been thnking the valve timinig is off but haven't found how to verify that yet.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am also having this issue with a 250cc Hi-Bird I just bought. The wires going to the solenoid from the battery were melted when I got is so I have been using jumper cables to bypass that wiring.

I can get it started and it does run ok (still some carb issues I am working on), but the starter really struggles to turn this motor over. Obviously it does much better with the plug out. I plan to replace the wiring, but I need to find the root cause of why the starter is pulling so many amps.

So far I have bypassed the ground and connected the ground jumper cable directly to the motor/frame and I have bypassed the solenoid and positive wiring by connecting the positive lead to the start side of the solenoid with no change in the starters ability to crank the motor.

Sounds like I need to check valve clearance and timing. I'm not sure how to check timing. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by smithder
I am also having this issue with a 250cc Hi-Bird I just bought. The wires going to the solenoid from the battery were melted when I got is so I have been using jumper cables to bypass that wiring.

I can get it started and it does run ok (still some carb issues I am working on), but the starter really struggles to turn this motor over. Obviously it does much better with the plug out. I plan to replace the wiring, but I need to find the root cause of why the starter is pulling so many amps.

So far I have bypassed the ground and connected the ground jumper cable directly to the motor/frame and I have bypassed the solenoid and positive wiring by connecting the positive lead to the start side of the solenoid with no change in the starters ability to crank the motor.

Sounds like I need to check valve clearance and timing. I'm not sure how to check timing. Any help is appreciated.

Struggggggggling with this please help

Old 01-31-2022, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Samesies

Originally Posted by StaplerUk
Ok new starter and still the same, I removed the flywheel cover and i can turn the flywheel by hand but once piston get to the top it gets very firm, BUT what i have found is with no plug the starter turns engine over really quick but with plug in it struggles again, i am thinking that there is TOO much compression, oil is good but REALLY thick and gloopy [wrong oil perhaps ?] would wrong oil cause that or maybe too much oil ?

Thanks

Having the same issue and rackin my brain trying to solve it. Any help ?

Quick Reply: Starter struggles to turn engine over.