1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

carb tuning help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"checked spark plug and it was grey is that ok ?"
I'd say 85% yes. Sounds like it was running lean at some point but probably didn't harm the plug. Hook the coil wire to it ground the plug to the head and hit your starter. If you get a fat blue spark the plug is probably okay. If not replace it.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

ohh wait i just realised your carb probably loooks like the one near the bottom of this page http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...ml#post3164086.

My bad dude in this case the brass screw centered at the top is the idle adjustment. The one slightly lower to the left is the air/fuel screw.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

the idle mixture screw is screwed completely in and if i turn it out i will cut out the engine
should i turn the air fuel screw in fully and turn back out 2 full turns
im not really sure

Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

really need help here lads
i cleaned out the carb again properly with carb cleaner might of been a few bits in it ,checked spark plug white spark
so i dont no wat to do about tuning it
when i rev it dies and then revs up
and idle mixture screw is the whole way in
so i dont no what to do know it would really annoy you at this stage

Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

If you go to the link I posted and scroll down there is a big pic with of a carb with a red background there are 2 brass screws If you are refering to the screw that is centered and slightly higher than the other and centered on the carb as the 'idle mix' screw then I really don't know how to explain the process any better than I already have.

If you are refering to the screw that is lower and to the left (yours could be on bottom) as the'idle mix' screw then I misunderstood your problem and been traveling down the wrong path.
Please clarify which of these 2 screws you are refering to as the 'idle mix' screw. I'm not trying to be an ***. I just don't know if I'm leading you down the correct path.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

here the carb i have
air/fuel mixture on left
idle mixture on right
i dont know how many turns i do for each screw at the moment the idle mixture screw is screwed in completely or else the engine will die

Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Range Rover

Ok the link didn't work but i think i found it on the site (has silver screw in center?). If Im on the correct one then look at my post #8. This is the screw I thought you were talking about before and I really don't know how to explain the process in text any better than I already have. Just start the quad let it warm up good. Since your idle screw is all the way in you cannot adjust this to get the bike ideling fast so just start messing with the brass screw. As you fool with this screw the bike should start running faster. If not you either need a different jet in your carb or you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If it does speed up snap the throttle open and keep adjusting the brass screw until the motor runs as fast as you can get it to run without any hesitation of the engine when you snap the throttle open. Adjust the silver screw back until the engine is just running a little fast. Mess with the brass screw again until the motor runs as fast as you can get it to run without any hesitation of the engine when you snap the throttle open. Then back the silver screw out a bit more. Just keep doing this until you get the silver screw out as far as you can. When you have the silver screw as far out as you can get it. Back the brass screw out about 1/8 turn and set the silver screw so the bike idles right.