1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

carb tuning help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb tuning help!

hi everyone i have a loncin Lx110 Quad
and im just after cleaning out the carb i took out the idle mixture screw and fuel mixture screw so i could give it a good cleaning as it wasnt running perfect ,
now i dont know how many times i have to turn the 2 screws in to get a good setup does anyone know how many turns in or out i need to take for the idle mixture screw /fuel mixture screw any help would be appreciated

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Trailblazer

so which should 1 adjust 1st ,does the engine ahve to be warm before i can adjust the fuel mixture

this is what i did but didnt work
i turned the air fuel mixture screw in fully then turned it out 2 full turns but i have to have the idle screw screwed in completely or else it will cut out

Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

You did right by adjusting the air/fuel screw in then back out 2 full turns (720 degrees right?) if when you ran it in and didn't try to tighten it when it stopped, otherwise you bent the needle at the end and need to replace the screw. Remember this is just a starting point it isn't the all mighty 'this is right' adjustment. From here, first you need to make double sure everything is tight and all vacuum lines are installed properly. Then start the quad and let it run at least 5 min (longer if it is cold out). Set your idle screw to where it will idle a little fast (you said its all the way in so not much you can do from there). Now the fun part where you burn yourself (at least I do on my dual exausts). If you cannot reach the air/fuel screw w/o burning yourself wear a long sleeve shirt and wrap another shirt around your arm (not perfect but a lot better than nothing). Now turn the air/fuel screw in and out slowly until you find where the engine runs fastest. Reset the idle screw until it's running ...

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Range Rover

just a bit fast and fool with the air/fuel screw again. Each time you do this you should be able to back the idle screw out a bit. Repeat until you get a good result at the lowest idle screw adjustment possible . Then most people forget to say to back the air/fuel screw out between 1/8 & 1/4 turn before setting your idle back to normal. This last step makes your bike run slightly rich so that if the temperature changes you don't wind up running lean and damage your engine, but it isn't rich enough to hurt anything.

Just realised I meant the engine runs the fastest and doesn't bog down when you suddenly snap the throttle open not when the engine runs the fastest at idle.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Range Rover

just a bit fast and fool with the air/fuel screw again. Each time you do this you should be able to back the idle screw out a bit. Repeat until you get a good result at the lowest idle screw adjustment possible . Then most people forget to say to back the air/fuel screw out between 1/8 & 1/4 turn before setting your idle back to normal. This last step makes your bike run slightly rich so that if the temperature changes you don't wind up running lean and damage your engine, but it isn't rich enough to hurt anything.

Just realised I meant the engine runs the fastest and doesn't bog down when you suddenly snap the throttle open not when the engine runs the fastest at idle.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer

the screw isnt bent anyway i stoped screwing it in when it stoped i didnt force it
the idle/mixture screw is the whole way in so i confused what to do ,and when i start the quad up cold with choke on its smokey and when i turn off choke its ok
checked spark plug and it was grey is that ok ?
oh when i rev up its slightly dies then its ok so what does this mean
thanks for all the help so far its greatly appreciated

Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

"the screw isnt bent anyway i stoped screwing it in when it stoped i didnt force it"
Cool bro, just something I always put in because I wasn't present when the previous repair was made. Remember those who reply to your post have no clue what you did or didn't do. I cover all the bases to make sure I didn't miss something that most think is obvious but the person posting the question may not be aware of.

"the idle/mixture screw is the whole way in so i confused what to do"
It's better to have the quad a bit above idle but if there is no more adjustment then that has to be your starting point. Hopefully while fiddling with the air/fuel screw it will rev to the point that you have to back the screw out and the quad still be a bit above idle. Just to clarify (you said idle/mix which seems to be a name mash up) the idle screw sticks out pretty far and has a spring and usually a black **** on it. The air/fuel screw is brass and located on the side of the carb above the fuel bowl or on the bottom pointing up.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

"the screw isnt bent anyway i stoped screwing it in when it stoped i didnt force it"
Cool bro, just something I always put in because I wasn't present when the previous repair was made. Remember those who reply to your post have no clue what you did or didn't do. I cover all the bases to make sure I didn't miss something that most think is obvious but the person posting the question may not be aware of.

"the idle/mixture screw is the whole way in so i confused what to do"
It's better to have the quad a bit above idle but if there is no more adjustment then that has to be your starting point. Hopefully while fiddling with the air/fuel screw it will rev to the point that you have to back the screw out and the quad still be a bit above idle. Just to clarify (you said idle/mix which seems to be a name mash up) the idle screw sticks out pretty far and has a spring and usually a black **** on it. The air/fuel screw is brass and located on the side of the carb above the fuel bowl or on the bottom pointing up.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

"when i start the quad up cold with choke on its smokey and when i turn off choke its ok"
The choke makes the engine run rich by not allowing it to draw enough air. I've never seen one actually smoke from being choked. I'm guessing it is black smoke? If so its just extra unburnt fuel from running rich and should go away once you get the carb properly tuned.

"when i rev up its slightly dies then its ok so what does this mean"
It means you need to tune your carb. Turn the air/fuel screw in and out til you get the engine running as fast as you can w/o it doing this it should gain revs instantly when you snap the throttle. Then back the idle screw out til it is a bit above idle. Mess with the air/fuel screw again. Back and forth until you get the idle screw backed out as much as possible. (see above)

Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Range Rover

"checked spark plug and it was grey is that ok ?"
I'd say 85% yes. Sounds like it was running lean at some point but probably didn't harm the plug. Hook the coil wire to it ground the plug to the head and hit your starter. If you get a fat blue spark the plug is probably okay. If not replace it.

Quick Reply: carb tuning help!