1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

I have a quad with a 110 Loncin engine, but I dont know the brand of quad. I can start it using starter solenoid jump. But the start button wont work. I do have power at start button. I noticed the safety pull on the back of the quad has been disconnected. Any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

79 views no replies?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

The two wires on the "tether switch"can not be touching each other. Try that.. However I don't think that will do it. The switch kills the engine, so it shouldn't run even if you jump the starter. Maybe you have a bad solenoid. Maybe bad or dirty contacts on the starter switch.

Something to look at.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

Oh yeah, 84 views and one reply.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by armagh
Oh yeah, 84 views and one reply.
Thanks man! I must have pissed off the old heads somehow.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

My question is does the rear barke wires need to be connected for it to start due to the kill switch. And if not and I can get the motor to run by jumping the solenoid whats the problem/ I have power at the switch but when I depress the start button the power is the same 12VDC. Come on old timers, help me out.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Yes, the the brake wires need to be connected.

I got your email... Is this "grown up" enough for you?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceDeuce
Thanks man! I must have pissed off the old heads somehow.
I hope you're not referring to me...

I've been busy beyond belief and haven't had any time to do anything other than work and sleep. And it ain't over yet. I've got a couple days respite, then I'm going to be engulfed again.

In the following posts I will respond to each of your questions where I will be able to quote your original post...

Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceDeuce
I have a quad with a 110 Loncin engine, but I dont know the brand of quad. I can start it using starter solenoid jump. But the start button wont work. I do have power at start button. I noticed the safety pull on the back of the quad has been disconnected. Any suggestions?
Do you have power on both sides of the start button when trying to start the quad? In other words, the ignition is on, the brake switch is closed (and the brake light is on), and the start button is pushed. At this time do you have power on both switch terminals?

Do you hear a "click" coming out of the solenoid when you push the start button?

The safety tether pull wires have nothing to do with whether the starter turns or not. This device will only kill spark. But the starter will crank and crank. Therefor you can safely ignore this until you get the starter motor turning with the start button. [I'm only reinforcing what Armagh has already stated].

Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Do you have power on both sides of the start button when trying to start the quad? In other words, the ignition is on, the brake switch is closed (and the brake light is on), and the start button is pushed. At this time do you have power on both switch terminals?

Do you hear a "click" coming out of the solenoid when you push the start button?

The safety tether pull wires have nothing to do with whether the starter turns or not. This device will only kill spark. But the starter will crank and crank. Therefor you can safely ignore this until you get the starter motor turning with the start button. [I'm only reinforcing what Armagh has already stated].
Hey Lynn, good to see your back!!! I know about being busy my friend. I was hoping you were ok actually! I did replace the starter switch and that solved the problem. Thanks for responding! Hope all is good in your neck of the woods! Bruce