1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Linhai 260. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Linhai 260. HELP!

I have looked everywhere with no luck and i am hoping someone here can help. I have a Linhai Wrangler 260 that i have been working on for a while now and I am lost. It will start and idle just fine. When I give it gas it acts like it hits a limiter right off of idle. The weird thing is that if i turn the headlights on it runs great. At the same time, if i take it down the street and get to higher rpm's, it will bog down until i turn the head lights off. I am stuck and could really use the help. I have looked at the electronics as the culprit. I did take some voltage readings at the battery.
Engine running at idle:
12.5- 13.0 volts without the headlights on.
11.5- 12.0 with headlights

Engine running while giving fuel (not moving):
up to 14.5 with headlights on.
with the headlights off it dips down to 6.5 volts when it hits the "limiter" I do know that it needs a battery. It will not take a charge anymore. Could this be this issue? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when i had my Linhai, it had a short in it, but didn't "limit" the throttle. in front of the headlight and under the plastic, i had that wiring rub through each other's wiring jacket/insulation and causing the the short. it was messing with my stator (alternator) output.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay so i went through all of the wiring and could not find anything. i was lucky and ran into a free battery. Installed and now it runs like a dream. Until i ride at full speed (no more than 100 yards) and it wants to sputter at top end. when i bring it back down, it will die. all i have to do is fire it back up and it runs good again. i know it has something to do with fuel. would this be a rich or lean issue?

Old 05-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

does it idle on its own? if not, either the idle screw needs adjusting or the pilot jet needs cleaning.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

It idles just fine. and i can ride it in my backyard an not have an issue. it only does it after being held open at high rpms for more than say 30 seconds. Then it seem like it starts to bog down, then die and then start right back up. Now i did find out that it has been sitting about 5 years. i put another carb on it from a parts bike. i just came inside from working on it and notices that the fuel filter is only about 1/4 the way full of fuel. could it be starving at top end? i really think i have a fuel delivery issue after looking at it again.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

check the fuel tank vent to make sure the tank ain't pulling a vacuum and obtaining equilibrium.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default linhai wrangler 260switch

From a new- to -forum guy. I need to find a main switch ( lites, start, and kill) on the left handle bar. Is there a supplier of these parts. Also need a schematic of the wiring and how to find the model/serial/year number number. There is a sticker no. under the seat.???:thanks,,, Bob T.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Bob T.
From a new- to -forum guy. I need to find a main switch ( lites, start, and kill) on the left handle bar. Is there a supplier of these parts. Also need a schematic of the wiring and how to find the model/serial/year number number. There is a sticker no. under the seat.???:thanks,,, Bob T.
have you found the VIN? sometimes there's a metal ID tag near the front or a sticker on the vertical downtube of the steering. the VIN should be located on the front horizontal bar or on the horizontal tube on the left hand side near the left foot area. 17 digit alphanumeric code. there's an online decoder that can help identify year and such. a bunch of these off brand parts will interchange like chevy to gmc to buick to pontiac. ford to lincoln to mercury. here'a linhai website i came across.
LH 300cc/260 cc ATV Fram Parts
click around and compare then call'em.
LINHAI Parts in Stock - maxpartslist.com - 855.829.4040=

Old 07-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks Jaster, found the VIN,,,LL8ATN4W220A00288 but I don't where or how to access that decoder you mentioned, tried a link on one of your other posts, but could not connect. I'll try to find the parts on the other links you mentioned. Thanks ,,,Bob T.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

10th digit is the year model. 2002.

Quick Reply: Linhai 260. HELP!