1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110 carb ID, and advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110 carb ID, and advice...

Hey everyone,
Need some fuel system help...

I spent a good chunk of Saturday trying to figure out why my old 110 wouldn't start. Best guess, its from ~2005. It cranks over fine, but didn't show any signs of combustion. I just got it a couple months ago for next to nothing, so this is kinda expected...

I traced the entire wiring diagram, since I didn't have one and needed to replace the switch clusters anyway. It appears to be getting a good spark on a brand new NGK plug.

Then I moved on to the fuel system. The fuel line is partially clear, and I could see what looked like a line separating 2 different fluids settling in the line. Assuming it was water, I cut the line and drained the carb as best I could. The ATV sat unused for who knows how long, and looks like it never had a fuel filter. ()

Upon reconnecting everything and opening the valves, the line only filled partially. I cranked it over and found that it was not drawing any fuel. I'm unassuming the carb is plugged up...

Here are 2 images of my carb. It appears to be slightly different from the carbs I see on ebay, Amazon, and other retailers. Different brand name on the casting (japan), and the fuel inlet in a different spot - with a carb mounted shut off valve. Not sure if they are different variants of the same, or one is a clone of the other.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvz3wt69v8...11.58.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ums347oi8v...11.29.jpg?dl=0

Questions:
(1) Is this carburetor rebuildable? If so, do i need a kit of gaskets, etc or is just in need of a can of carb cleaner + rags, and an air gun?
(2) Would it be more worth my while to just buy a new manual choke carb, being that they're only ~$16? Anyone know for sure if the internal components like jets and so on would be interchangeable?

Thx,
Kelly

Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kelly w
Questions:
(1) Is this carburetor rebuildable? If so, do i need a kit of gaskets, etc or is just in need of a can of carb cleaner + rags, and an air gun?
(2) Would it be more worth my while to just buy a new manual choke carb, being that they're only ~$16? Anyone know for sure if the internal components like jets and so on would be interchangeable?

Thx,
Kelly
(1)Yes it is rebuild able.. most can be taken apart carefully and the rubber gaskets wont tear.. What you dont want to do is get carb cleaner on any of the rubber parts... if you do the rubber will expand to a very useless size.

(2) Id try and clean it first but for $16 its a cheap 2nd try. Jets are basically 2 types.. Mikuni type and Keihin type.