1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

troubleshoot no spark issue related to kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default troubleshoot no spark issue related to kill switch

Hello all,

I recently bought a used BMX Loncin 110cc chinese ATV that was lightly used.

It has a no start / no spark issue. I have found out that when you remove the kill switch wire/pin from the 5pin CDI harness plug it will spark and run fine. Obviously this bypasses all the safety stuff and I have to pull the plug wire off to kill the engine.

I've also unplugged the CDI, turn on ignition switch and set kill switch to run. I used the meter to measure resistance in the kill switch pin in wiring harness connector to a ground. I measure zero ohms.... according to previous posts this indicates a problem.

I've taken apart the kill switch and looked around and see no issues with it. How can I further troubleshoot this problem?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Right, so you have a dead short to earth on the kill wire to the CDI. It depends on how the system is wired. The ignition switch will have live and earth wires to it, and a live wire from it to the starter and lighting system and an earth from it, to the CDI, this should be earthed when the switch is off and not earthed when in the running position. However this wire will also go to the other kill switch(es) so you will have to check each one separately, i.e, by disconnecting them and testing that they are not earthed in the running position.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Right, so you have a dead short to earth on the kill wire to the CDI. It depends on how the system is wired. The ignition switch will have live and earth wires to it, and a live wire from it to the starter and lighting system and an earth from it, to the CDI, this should be earthed when the switch is off and not earthed when in the running position. However this wire will also go to the other kill switch(es) so you will have to check each one separately, i.e, by disconnecting them and testing that they are not earthed in the running position.
Okay, I've got it sparking and running after I've unplugged the remote module but now I can't kill the motor.

The handlebar kill switch and/or ignition does not kill it. I realized the ignition would not kill it but thought the kill switch would at least work.

If I take a jumper wire from the 'kill switch' on the CDI and just ground it then it kills. So I have a black/white wire and green wire on the kill switch wiring. I thought I'd be able to run a jumper wire from the green kill switch wire to the 'kill switch' wire on the CDI but that didn't work.

How do I get the kill switch to work now???

Old 08-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No spark now won't stop geez your demanding LOL. This is best handled by mr Lynn Edwards as think there is a way to loop wiring to take care of that but for the life of me am not sure

Old 08-29-2015, 02:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Like I wrote at the top, it depends on your wiring system, bikes with a remote have complex systems. Green wires on Hondas are usually earths so those who copy Hondas often use the same wiring colours. You may have got the wrong wire on the kill switch, earth the green as the black/white usually already goes to the CDI kill pin.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for everyone's help. I ran a jumper wire from the black/white wire on the handlebar kill switch to the grey kill switch wire by my CDI box. That did the trick... Thanks!