1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Atv J013 110cc Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv J013 110cc Won't Start

I just picked it up from buddy who had it sitting around awhile. Won't start....cranks but wont turn over. It has one of those remotes which dont like (is lock or unlock the engine on?) . I plan on getting a new carb. Tried to clean the existing but couldn't get the bowl cover off cause the screw heads are completely flat and no tool can be used?! Hope the carb issue is it but have a stupid hunch it might be something electrical that i dont know about.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The first thing to do is take the plug out, refit the lead and lay it on the head. Turn the starter and see if you get a spark.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Will check it out later tonite. Is there a way to disconnect the remote as I would rather not have to deal with one more potential electrical issue.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son has one of those. The day I got it it did the same thing. Crank but no start. Did the check for spark thing had no spark. So I started checking all the connections and after going through all of them unplugging and reconnecting it fired up. I think may have been the main harness up to the key ignition. That one came apart the easiest.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Cmillgrizzly
My son has one of those. The day I got it it did the same thing. Crank but no start. Did the check for spark thing had no spark. So I started checking all the connections and after going through all of them unplugging and reconnecting it fired up. I think may have been the main harness up to the key ignition. That one came apart the easiest.
Thanks for the tip. I did briefly check tonite that it does have spark

Old 09-03-2015, 02:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you have a spark, the fault is likely to be the carb, but check compression as a valve can stick open if a bike is laid up for a while.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put on a brand new carb & still no luck. Seems like 1 valve is moving. Do I need to take the head off?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

It seems the exhaust valve is stuck....how do I get the head off

Old 09-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Got the gead off and found that the exhaust valve seat was displaced. Now properly in place & compression is much better. Still won't start after putting on brand new carb. Is there anything that I should be doin to carb before installing that could be the issue?

Old 09-07-2015, 02:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

How you remove the head depends on the type of engine you have.

Sometimes you can persuade the valve to un-stick by pouring a spoonful of STP or other upper cylinder lubricant down the plug hole, re-fit the plug, then spin the engine over a few times to get the oil dispersed. Leave overnight and your valve may work. Another trick is to put a screwdriver blade in between rocker (if fitted) and valve stem, turn the engine over by hand, and when the rocker presses down it opens the valve a bit more, the increased tension on the spring may cause it to pull the valve closed.

Quick Reply: Atv J013 110cc Won't Start