1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Lifan 110cc not charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lifan 110cc not charging

Hello there, i got a Chinese ATV from a friend of mine.
It had a problem with the harness so i had to do it from scratch.

I did that based on this diagram :

It works really good (except my carb, it need some adjustment but i saw a thread about that, so i ll fix this soon!).

So, my problem is that it doesn't charge the battery.

After a search that i did, i saw that the main reason for this is a faulty stator or a faulty regulator.

My stator has two coils and 4 cables (Yellow, White, Black/Red, Blue/Black). Like the one in the photo :

I checked the stator and i think that it is ok.
It produce about 25-60v AC on both Yellow and White (depending on rev).

Also my ATV still run w/o a battery and w/o a regulator (also can have lights on, signal etc).

But if i check the + cable, it produce about 5-8v DC without the battery and about 12.3-12.5v DC with the battery. (w/ or w/o the regulator).

I bought a new cdi, regulator and it still produce the same amount of voltage.

The regulator has 4 pins, like the one in the photo :

I have no clue on what to do next, so any suggesting will be helpfull.

P.S. Please forgive me for my bad English! Its not my native language!

Old 09-10-2015, 04:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Can't get your wiring diagram to load, but that stator assembly looks old school, the last bike to use it I know of was the Suzuki 80. The ignition and charging circuits are totally independent with these, the black coil works rather like a magneto coil providing both power for the spark and it's timing. The other coil provides power for the battery. The two circuits don't meet up anywhere, though both may go through different circuits in the ignition switch. These charging coils don't make much power, the best way to check is if, with rectifier fitted and engine running, the battery voltage is slowly increasing, unless you have lights on.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello and thank you for your answer!

I upload the image in another host, i think that u can see it now. (if not, go to http://postimg.org/image/6fcbuxn2j)

It do slightly increase the voltage while running, the battery is at 12.30v while not running and about 12.50v+ while running, i haven't watch it for some time to see how much it can charge, because i didn't think that this is a normal thing. I expect to see more than 13v.

So this is normal?

Old 09-12-2015, 02:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I suspect it is normal. The rectifier on many of these basic machines often doesn't regulate the voltage, just turns it to DC, the charging coil is made to only produce enough power to trickle charge the battery. That diagram is correct for your stator, in fact, apart from wiring colours, it is almost identical to the Suzuki LT80 diagram.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything you have posted sounds normal. I suspect the battery. How old is it?

Old 09-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
I suspect it is normal. The rectifier on many of these basic machines often doesn't regulate the voltage, just turns it to DC, the charging coil is made to only produce enough power to trickle charge the battery. That diagram is correct for your stator, in fact, apart from wiring colours, it is almost identical to the Suzuki LT80 diagram.
I see. To be honest i never tried to use the ATV for lets say an hour and see the results. I im going to do this and hopefully it will work!

Originally Posted by MPDano
Everything you have posted sounds normal. I suspect the battery. How old is it?
The battery i use is from an scooter that i have, it is charging on the scooter (13.4-14.3v DC), so i think that the battery is fine.