1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

What causes ATV to no longer generate a spark???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Ride it like you stole it
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes ATV to no longer generate a spark???

My ATV was running perfectly fine last weekend. All of a sudden it stopped working. I am not sure what happened.
I need to know everything to check to make sure there are no shorted out grounds, no burnt out wires.

I need to know everything that is involved in ignition process.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

What kind of ATV is it and did you remove the spark plug from the head to see if it's sparking? If it's not the spark plug itself, then its most likely the spark plug coil. You can perform a meter test on the coil just to be on the safe side and that would be a pretty cheap fix. If its not either the plug or the coil, then attention should be focused on the CDI itself.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by HondaR24
What kind of ATV is it and did you remove the spark plug from the head to see if it's sparking? If it's not the spark plug itself, then its most likely the spark plug coil. You can perform a meter test on the coil just to be on the safe side and that would be a pretty cheap fix. If its not either the plug or the coil, then attention should be focused on the CDI itself.
It is a 2007 Kazuma Jaguar. I have the owners manual and I can order parts on their official website. Yes, I have tested the spark plug on a different machine and it is working, there is no spark on my machine, how would I know if it is the CDI box is the issue causing the ignition coil to receive no power? The way this bike is designed is that all the wires are wrapped together into the harness and right at the front of the bike when the harness opens up, all the wires are there, and there are 1 000 000 plugs, not too sure what else to do other than unplug each wire until I figure out what is what. How would I be able to find out it is the CDI and not the stator or a earth?

Old 02-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

You need a multimeter to check continuity on the cables and to see if voltage comes through.

First check spark plug wire, if theres power the plug is defective.
Then check wire from cdi to coil, if theres power then coil is defective.
Then check power from stator to cdi. If there is power then cdi is defective, if no power then stator is defective.

This only applies if youve checked vital wires for continuity

Old 02-10-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Unsub
You need a multimeter to check continuity on the cables and to see if voltage comes through.

First check spark plug wire, if theres power the plug is defective.
Then check wire from cdi to coil, if theres power then coil is defective.
Then check power from stator to cdi. If there is power then cdi is defective, if no power then stator is defective.

This only applies if youve checked vital wires for continuity
What do you mean this only applies if I have checked vital wires for continunity?
What setting on the multimeter should I have it set at?
And how should I test it?

Old 02-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kazjag500
What do you mean this only applies if I have checked vital wires for continunity?
What setting on the multimeter should I have it set at?
And how should I test it?
You check for voltage while cranking the engine.

I mean that if there is voltage from the stator to the cdi, but not from the cdi to the coil this could be both a defective cdi and wiring problems such as the grounding from the cdi being bad

Old 02-10-2016, 01:38 PM

You check for voltage while cranking the engine.

I mean that if there is voltage from the stator to the cdi, but not from the cdi to the coil this could be both a defective cdi and wiring problems such as the grounding from the cdi being bad
How can I test that? Like can you name everything step by step for me to test this? I am new to testing all this and required very detailed instructions. Thanks,

Old 02-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

How can I test that? Like can you name everything step by step for me to test this? I am new to testing all this and required very detailed instructions. Thanks,
The wires coming from the engine and going to the cdi. Then the wires from the cdi to the coil should be tested for voltage while cranking the engine.

However, if you're new to this and its a fairly expensive atv id recommend getting an expert to look at it.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:51 PM

The wires coming from the engine and going to the cdi. Then the wires from the cdi to the coil should be tested for voltage while cranking the engine.

However, if you're new to this and its a fairly expensive atv id recommend getting an expert to look at it.
I can do it, I just need to know exactly what needs to be done. Then I'll be fine. I have done a lot of work to the machine and I am refusing to send it to someone when with then right information I can do myself. I just need to know what to do.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

I can do it, I just need to know exactly what needs to be done. Then I'll be fine. I have done a lot of work to the machine and I am refusing to send it to someone when with then right information I can do myself. I just need to know what to do.
Then i would recommend visual guides from youtube or something. What you need to test is if
1. The stator creates voltage (plus on multimeter on wires from engine to cdi and ground to battery)
2. Voltage reaches the coil. (Checkef by testing wire from cdi to coil)