1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Newly assembled Taotao 250 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly assembled Taotao 250 won't start

I know there are lots of threads about Taotao starting problems, but mine started fine after I finished assembling, took a while to get started the second time, and now can't start at all. Don't really know much about engines. Assembling tested my limits. Tried choke in all different positions. Turns over fine. Maybe the spark plug? Thanks.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

after trying to start pull the plug and see if its wet/ flooding condition. Then check for spark while the plug is out. Also check to see if plug may be fouled black sooty plug. Sometimes on a new machine the plug fouled up

Old 05-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Zrock, I'll give that a try.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I replaced the spark plug, but still won't start. Dealer suggested spraying some carburetor cleaner on the carburetor. Don't know where to start.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhertzel
Ok, I replaced the spark plug, but still won't start. Dealer suggested spraying some carburetor cleaner on the carburetor. Don't know where to start.
Sounds like he's trying to see if there is a vac leak but that wont work unless it actually starts. You need to know the basics and verify spark. Plenty of youtube vids on this. Pull the plug and put the plug on, ground the plug on one of the engine bolts and turn it over and see if you have spark.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't remember or see if you were getting spark... one thing to try is take some quick start or a squirting bottle with some fuel in it and spray direct into carb. I've seen them get a air bubble and it's almost impossible to get out unless machine is running

Old 06-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Spark plug sparked, but I replaced it anyway (but not with an NGK, which my son now tells me is the gold standard).

As suggested on the dealer's website, I opened the carburetor flush valve, and gas came out. I also sprayed starter fluid into the carburetor, and almost started, which I think means the gas isn't getting through. Air bubble?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, try this. Pull the plug out, put some starter fluid in there, put plug back in and try to start.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The valve lash could be too tight. I've seen these engines come from the factory with zero clearance which will prevent them from starting.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for continuing to help, guys.

I did the starter fluid in the spark plug opening, and got the "almost start" again. Tried it twice, but wouldn't stick.

Googled valve lash adjustment and that might be beyond my capability.

I'll take it in if I have to, since I saved money in exchange for quality. Just need it to maintain my 3.5 acres on the side of a hill.

Quick Reply: Newly assembled Taotao 250 won't start