1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kazuma shorting out / narrowed it down

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kazuma shorting out / narrowed it down

Evening,

I decided to treat my boy's Meerkat to a new carb all the electrical components as it had been sitting for a while.

The parts replaced were CDi, ignition switch, voltage regulator, coil and starter solenoid. Plus a new battery.

Quad started straight away then there was a burning smell and small puffs of smoke coming out the magneto casing. Removed the casing and the magneto was burnt out.

Ordered a new magneto and replaced it. I noticed when connecting the battery it sparked a lot, so I knew something was up.

I uncovered all the wiring and there were no breaks. I started to remove one electrical component at a time to try and narrow it down.

What I have found is that with the white wire from the voltage regulator connected the battery sparks, but when its not it doesn't. This is with ignition off and all other electrical components (bar magneto and starter) removed. Soon as the battery is connected the white wire from the regulator has voltage, even without ignition, is this correct?

Can anyone offer any advice please? Could I have a dodgy voltage regulator? Unfortunately I don't have the old one to try.

I have an impatient 11yr old desperate to have is quad back!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Voltage regulators are wired directly to the battery, often there is a fuse between, but regulators don't go through the ignition switch. They should not draw any power either, so it looks like yours is shot. Check all those wires before fitting a new one as you may have wired something wrongly, the wiring colours on the new components may not match those on the loom, so everything has to be checked, white seems a decidedly odd colour to use for a battery positive wire.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply.

Probably didn't make it exactly clear, apologies.

The regulator does have a direct fused red wire from the battery. Its the white wire that comes from the regulator that seems to be the problem. Unfortunately my multimeter has broken so I can see what voltage that white has. I'm wondering whether the regulator is shorting out.

I have ordered another to try.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

OK where is this white wire going to the battery or else ware?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

The white wire goes to the magneto, where it joins another white wire.