1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao tao 135D won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tao tao 135D won't start.

Hi all. We've had this quad for a little over a year now. It worked fine for two months, then one day it just wouldn't start again. I've been futzing with it for a year now and am coming to the experts for help.

It is an electric start. It does crank over but does not start. It is getting fuel. It is not getting spark. The rear kill switch has been unplugged (open, not grounded), the left hand kill switch is in the on position. The brake switches are working properly and the brakes are on while trying to start. The remote start/kill box has been unplugged (it won't start with it plugged in either).

I have replaced the wiring harness, CDI (5 pin type), rectifier, and ignition coil with no luck. I've even tried different combinations of the original items and newer items.

It has fresh gas, which won't make much of a difference with no spark but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm about ready to just give this thing away at this point. I'm pretty mechanical and have worked on vintage cars for a long time (not professionally) but this has me stumped. HELP!!!! LynnEdwards, are you out there?

Old 11-24-2016, 12:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

On some bikes the rear kill wires have to be connected together for the bike to run. Also some need a wire between two of the pins if the remote start/kill is removed. However, assuming you have AC ignition, the kill wire from the CDI can be disconnected to by-pass all that lot. One problem though, some bikes only spark with the kill wire not earthed, some only run with the wire earthed. On most CDIs it is the black wire with white tracer.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

You might find this old thread helpful:
https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-e...-no-start.html

Old 11-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

pull your wire about of the cdi like stated above. This will bypass all safety items. Also this may sound funny but try unplugging the rear tail light. I have had it where the wire or light was shorting out causing no spark.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile It was the stator.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Sorry for the late response, but Thanksgiving and all. Well it turned out to be the stator. I really hadn't expected a brand new stator to go out, but then again I hadn't expected a brand new atv to just quit working, even if it was Chinese. Anyway, the kids will be excited to ride it again since it's been over a year since it broke. And just in time for Christmas too! Happy Holidays everyone!

Old 12-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

one thing to watch on these imports as they don't seem to be washing safe... seems like they are fine bombing through puddles but as soon as you wash em off and try to start its always been trouble im my experience. i always let em sit for the afternoon before trying to start after washing. i have blown a few electrical components after washing on these things

Old 12-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the heads up.