1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kids birthday is in two days, need some wiring help to get quad running

Old 01-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids birthday is in two days, need some wiring help to get quad running

Hey guys, I'd normally scrape the internet for weeks trying to figure out how to go about fixing something before just asking without much research, but I've got tonight and a couple hours tomorrow to get the engine running and the frame assembled on my Son's quad I got him for his birthday, so I'm desperate for some help. It's a 90cc Zhejiang Fukin (Fushin USA).
I've got the engine on the bench, I started assembling the wiring harness, and it looks to be mostly all there and in good condition, except for the handlebar start/kill/lights switch was apparently from a different quad and not the same plug and the wires and switches were junk. Not a problem, I just ordered a replacement, but for now what I need to do is make sure the engine fires up, I was told it ran, but need to check. I've cleaned out the carb, new plug, etc..

I was thinking of trying to fire it with everything eliminated (safety switches, remote box, etc.), and only use the essentials to allow the motor to run, then I can go from there knowing that the engine is good. Please correct me if I'm wrong or missing something.

I have 5 wires coming from the motor....
green, black/red, blue/white, yellow, white.

I should only need to use the green(ground, connected to the bottom left CDI prong), black/red(AC ignition power, connected to bottom right CDI prong) & blue/white(timing trigger, connected to the top left CDI prong)

There is no AC to DC converter, the CDI accepts AC right?

Now from the CDI, the top right prong should connect to the coil I think. Then from the coil to the spark plug. This should be all the electrical connections required to start the engine correct? Should I just jump the starter to get it running? What is the best/easiest way to turn off the engine?

Attachment 11869

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

Well, finally got it running late last night after troubleshooting all of the wiring. The only thing I had to remove was the remote box, which wouldn't allow the plug to spark. With the box removed, it starts up. How would I go about troubleshooting the remote box? It has a speaker on it, is it supposed to chirp when it first gets power? My remote seems to do nothing when I press the buttons, might just be the battery though. Any ideas? I'd really like to use the remote shut off.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

personally i would just leave the remote box out. I have never used the one that came with ours. Its one of those things that works well when it works and when it goes bad can cause all kinds of issues

Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Zrock
personally i would just leave the remote box out. I have never used the one that came with ours. Its one of those things that works well when it works and when it goes bad can cause all kinds of issues
Yeah, I see your point, and if it was just my son riding it I would be okay with that, because he's had a power wheels for several years, and has ridden my brother in laws youth three wheeler, so he is pretty comfortable with the mechanics of riding one. I plan to teach my daughter to ride (she's 5), and she has no experience. Even though the throttle will be limited, I'd still like to have it available, plus if I ever re-sell it, I think some people might be turned off, even if they never use it.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol

i started my daughter at 2-3 riding with now remote.. She only ran into the house once..LOL.. kids pick it up pretty quick. The remote is not a huge selling feature you look through the forums alot of people remove them due to issues.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

lol, my daughter is the wild one of the two, so it would be her that runs into the house, or the car, or the dogs....

If I do end up plugging it back in... does it require the unlock button to be pressed first in order to "disarm" the kill switch?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Dunno. never used the one that came with mine except to test. hit the shutdown button and the alarm sounded. I thought if I did that when my girl was riding she would s@@the herself and bail off the machine and get hurt. so it sits in my tool box..

Old 01-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

Soooooo, I ended up taking eight rims/tires to Discount tire Friday, told them I needed four good tires on the red rims, and I need the other tires/rims back (I have a second quad that may or may not get these rims/tires). I get them home and two of the four were flat. The other two were inflated to 24psi (should be 10psi max working load). They put the directional tires all one way on the rims, so the valve stems on one side faced inward, the front one hitting the ball tie rod end. They also kept the other set of tires..... grrrr. Took them back yesterday, got everything straightened out, but what a debacle.