1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

No Spark - have replace stator, cdi etc

Old 02-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark - have replace stator, cdi etc

Hi guys

Well i scored one of those little 110cc chinese quads for about the price of the scrap metal value, anyways, its in pretty good condition and I wanted to get it going for the kids. It came to me with no spark, which wasnt really surprising as the stator cover was half full of water, carb full of water and a bit of water in the tank from sitting. Engine oil is clean and it has good compression etc. have stripped cleaned everything and replaced a all damaged parts .

I went and bought a new stator, cdi solenoid and flywheel, cost me all of about $65. I am yet to fir the flywheel as I can't find a way to lock the crank to undo the nut, but it seems to work ok now I have cleaned it up. I have rewired it some - removed all the lighting crap and the millions of kill switches and gave the loom a general tidy up as it had been hacked by someone by the looks as one of the safety switches caused a dead short when activated. I plan to refit these safety once I have spark back. I have followed the wiring diagrams I can find and apart from the short in the safety switches all the wiring seems correct.

I have stripped it down to basically an ignition key which supplies power to the start button and thats it, ive taken the center wire off the cdi for now so no kill switches are possible, ive checked the trigger wire and the ac output of the new stator and continuity of the earth - all good, CDi is brand new so hopefully good there, wiring all was good there.

So now i have the starter working off the key and then the button, but still no spark, have tried a good sparkplug from another running motor..

Last thing in the chain is the coil, the primary side tests at .5 ohms and the secondary is about 9.8kohm .. Im thinking this is the problem as I believed the primary side was meant to be about 3-5 ohms and the secondary 12k ohm + or so.. can anyone tell me the specs for one of these coils on the 110cc gems ?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2017, 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bit more info after reading a few threads on here, I have the 5 wire stator, the 5 pin CDI black with the green plug.

should there be power from the ignition switch - ie from the battery going to the CDI ? Im pretty sure i checked and I don't have 12v with the key on anywhere on the cdi plug. but some threads its seems to mention that there is..

my wiring is setup like this -

Old 02-02-2017, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Some AC CDIs spark when you connect the kill wire to earth, some when you disconnect it from earth, you need some way of stopping the engine anyway, so fit a kill wire.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Some AC CDIs spark when you connect the kill wire to earth, some when you disconnect it from earth, you need some way of stopping the engine anyway, so fit a kill wire.
Ok will do, Im pretty sure the key does this once I reconnect the pink center wire to the cdi, will do this. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

this is the electrics I have

Old 02-02-2017, 03:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

have posted a couple of posts with attachments but it seems I they wont appear until approved by a moderator.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Chinese wiring is a law unto itself, but I've never known the kill wire to be pink, are you sure you have wired the CDI properly?

Old 02-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

That part was the factory loom. Didnt rewire it. Pretty sure most of the kill switches wiring was also pink. Anyway not to concerned with the color of the wire. I know the center pin of the cdi is for a kill switch and to kill the bike you ground said wire.

Really need the specs on the coil so I can confirm if its toast

Old 02-03-2017, 02:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you system is AC like the diagram you put up, the voltage to power the CDI comes from the alternator (black/red on the drawing), so you don't have power from the battery going to the CDI.

If you are sure you have an AC system, check AC voltage from that wire with engine being turned over. Check you are getting a smaller AC voltage from the pickup coil (blue/white on your drawing), again whilst cranking. With the CDI connected, check if you get a high AC voltage from the CDI to the coil (black/yellow) when turning engine over. Check that the green is earthed.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes have already checked that. Have 0.1v from the trigger and about 50-60v ac from the black and red ac power wire this i now need to know of my coil is toast re my first post.

Search this Thread