2) Chassis problems.. If your quad runs but you have other problems.. post in here.

How tough is the frame supposed to be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How tough is the frame supposed to be?

Just a quick question, did anyone here ever have any issues with the frame breaking? How much 'damage' should I expect in the future?
Because mine keeps cracking and snapping and I'm not even abusing it.
A few months ago my rear swingarm snapped in half and today an engine mount went to hell.

If this keeps on happening I'm considering on buying the chassis from a good brand ATV and swapping engines somehow.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this keeps on happening I'm considering on buying the chassis from a good brand ATV and swapping engines somehow.
Sounds like a lot of work.

I would just buy the whole entire brand name ATV and have nothing made in china on it period.

You don't hear of frames breaking on most all other ATVs even when treated rough.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

they are usually pretty good. i have had a adult and 4 year old on a 110 with no issues

Old 09-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
Sounds like a lot of work.

I would just buy the whole entire brand name ATV and have nothing made in china on it period.

You don't hear of frames breaking on most all other ATVs even when treated rough.
I'd love to do that, unfortunately I'm not all that well off on the financial front.
And a used market for older brand name ATVs doesn't really exist here. Just a mass of Chinese quads and the occasional 10k€ beast.

But I guess I just got unlucky and got a really fucked ATV, I bought it new so I kind of expected it to be good for atleast a year, but I wasn't that lucky...

Well I'll be welding more metal on the thing anyways shortly to add a bit of structural integrity for future plowing. The engine has more than enough power to handle the extra weight and I'm planning on replacing the sprocket for something bigger to get more power, since I basically never reach top speed as the ATV is meant mostly for work..
And I'm going to replace the rest of the bushings that finally gave out next weekend.
Thankfully I know a person with an industrial lathe, so they get made on the spot.

I still feel like I've been scammed pretty heavily with this purchase.. especially since it came from an actual store rather than a physical person selling used.

Well.. it'll always be good to haul around the cart.
How tough is the frame supposed to be?-klwldou.jpg

Old 09-29-2014, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Chinese Kids Quads are fairly strong but the "utility" models are still way behind the Jap brands. Having said that, Honda 350s break the frame top tubes under the tank and Suzuki 450 and 700 King quads were notorious for frame breakages, mostly bottom tubes. If you tow more than the handbook says you should, you have no comebacks if the frame breaks.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I broke the lower shock mounts off the swing arm of a 250 Jetmoto.. it was being ridden very hard at the time..

For your quad gussets around the weak places may help but most Chinese quads use a low quality steel.. Thats the problem with most Chinese quads.. they look like a Japanese or American or Canadian made quad, but underneath a lot of corners have been cut.. low quality just about everything..

Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Trailblazer

I guess it's just the way it's made then.. I had a chance to look at a friends 'sporty' atv thats about the same size, but the steel tubes are a LOT thicker, as well as the rear axle. Mine is basically bendy, if I let it sit for a few days you can see it deform..
I'll just add more steel pipes to stressed spots on the frame and hope that'll do it.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
Chinese Kids Quads are fairly strong but the "utility" models are still way behind the Jap brands. Having said that, Honda 350s break the frame top tubes under the tank and Suzuki 450 and 700 King quads were notorious for frame breakages, mostly bottom tubes. If you tow more than the handbook says you should, you have no comebacks if the frame breaks.
No such thing as a handbook for my atv lol.. Don't even know for sure what brand it is.. The store that sold it basically tried to advertize it as a grizzly, a yamaha haha..

The capacity of my cart is 225kg, and I think it should be able to handle that much, besides the hook should break before any frame damage is done.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

the tow hitch will actually be the strongest point of the frame. they are designed with yanking people out of the mud in mind. When repairing your frame make sure you drill the ends of the crack out so it cannot crack any farther. then grind out as much of the old weld and crack as you can and reweld. The weld if done properly will be the strongest point.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Zrock
the tow hitch will actually be the strongest point of the frame. they are designed with yanking people out of the mud in mind. When repairing your frame make sure you drill the ends of the crack out so it cannot crack any farther. then grind out as much of the old weld and crack as you can and reweld. The weld if done properly will be the strongest point.
The repairs I've done with my dad do seem to be performing pretty well.
But the hitch is actually fairly weak since it's a diy project thats basically just a screw with a hole for the pin.

I'll take a picture once I get home.

Quick Reply: How tough is the frame supposed to be?