3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Wilderness 250 popping out carb?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilderness 250 popping out carb?

Hey guys! My inlaws have a Wilderness 250 that I'm trying to help them with but need some guidance.. The thing had a slew of issues including not starting which I've been able to fix but now the bike is popping out the carb at idle and when I try to open it up it bogs down and would probably die if I didn't let off.

I've searched around here in the forums and was thinking it might either be running lean or a timing issue? I uploaded a video to youtube so hopefully that helps.

‪Baja Wilderness 250 Misfire‬‏ - YouTube

A few months ago before it really started acting up the bike would only run when it was fully choked as well...

Any help is appreciated!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey partner, I would start with the fuel weather its stale or not can be a issue. Then i would check my carb, fuel lines, air filter and hoses for clogs. Then i may wanna remove and CAREFULLY dismantle my carb to clean it throughly with compressed air and cleaning spray. if i still had an issue i would maybe think it could be a wireing problem, maybe youve got a stuck safety switch or sensor. go through it all with a fine tooth comb so to speak.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by EdTheRetardg10
Hey partner, I would start with the fuel weather its stale or not can be a issue. Then i would check my carb, fuel lines, air filter and hoses for clogs. Then i may wanna remove and CAREFULLY dismantle my carb to clean it throughly with compressed air and cleaning spray. if i still had an issue i would maybe think it could be a wireing problem, maybe youve got a stuck safety switch or sensor. go through it all with a fine tooth comb so to speak.
I drained the tank and bowl on the carb already, just got a new plug for it but I'm still at work so I haven't had the chance to put that in yet. Thought I might clean up the carb a bit and give it another shot.

Don't know how much this matters but the first guy that worked on it for them tried to take apart the left handlebar switch assembly and totally ruined the entire unit... I've been starting it with the pull rope now and they have a new switch on order..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Eilrahc83
...Don't know how much this matters but the first guy that worked on it for them tried to take apart the left handlebar switch assembly and totally ruined the entire unit... I've been starting it with the pull rope now and they have a new switch on order..
If the left handlebar switch is unplugged it cannot be causing misfires.

It sounds like fuel issues to me...

Old 07-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
If the left handlebar switch is unplugged it cannot be causing misfires.

It sounds like fuel issues to me...
Thats good to know on the handlebar switch, thank you Lynn! I didn't get a chance to work on it last night, had a bunch of yardwork that needed to be done but tonight I'm determined to get this quad running right.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I threw the new plug in, pulled the carb apart to clean the bowl and make sure the jets weren't clogged and it all looked pretty good in there. I lowered the slide clip to the last notch to richen it up also cause the previous plug looked a little lean. Its running better but still popping out the carb, it has fresh fuel in it also so now I'm stumped!.. Any thoughts guys??

Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Eilrahc83!

Did you remove both the pilot jet and the main jet? And the main jet holder? it has holes in the side of it and so does the pilot jet.. If you did and could see light thru them? You would also want to remove the fuel screw and spray carb cleaner thru it..

Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Welcome to the forum Eilrahc83!

Did you remove both the pilot jet and the main jet? And the main jet holder? it has holes in the side of it and so does the pilot jet.. If you did and could see light thru them? You would also want to remove the fuel screw and spray carb cleaner thru it..
I did remove the pilot and main jet and could see light through no problem, I was actually disappointed that I could cause I was hoping that was the issue! I didn't remove the fuel spray screw though..

Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

You need to remove everything from the carb(especially anything made of rubber) and give it a good cleaning.. I spray carb cleaner thru everything and then use compressed air..that cleans all the passages/holes in the carb..

Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
You need to remove everything from the carb(especially anything made of rubber) and give it a good cleaning.. I spray carb cleaner thru everything and then use compressed air..that cleans all the passages/holes in the carb..

I'll tear it down again tonight and do that. Can you think of anything else I should look for while working on it tonight?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wilderness 250 popping out carb?