3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Coolster Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Coolster Rims

My son wrecked his 125cc Coolster and bent the front rims and so began the quest for new ones. I found what looked to be a direct replacement on the Internet, 16x8x7 with a three bolt pattern. I went to mount them and discovered the holes on the rim did not line up with the studs. I contacted the vendor I purchased and he stated the holes on the rim are 70mm apart and he has nothing smaller. My next trip with to the Coolster web site. I went to their parts area and found a rim with all the demensions listed. It states that the distance is 2.7" which converts to 68.58mm. That explains why they don't fit. My problem is I can't find anybody that sells rims that are less the 70mm and I really don't want to pay Coolster $80 a pop when I just bought two for $70. Any ideas?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you looked on your local craigslist website for non running quads or parts? you may be able to pick up a "junk" one for a little bit of nothing. or there's always ebay & the thrifty nickel want ads. i peruse through CL quite a bit and there are "junk" quads (what people think are junk because they don't run), for usually less than $100.plus you may get tires....other than that, sorry.....

Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by raceman3
...I found what looked to be a direct replacement on the Internet, 16x8x7 with a three bolt pattern. I went to mount them and discovered the holes on the rim did not line up with the studs. I contacted the vendor I purchased and he stated the holes on the rim are 70mm apart and he has nothing smaller.
So they didn't line up with the studs... But how far off were they? Are we talking something like the thickness of a dime in radius? Or something much larger?

Originally Posted by raceman3
.... I went to their parts area and found a rim with all the demensions listed. It states that the distance is 2.7" which converts to 68.58mm. That explains why they don't fit. My problem is I can't find anybody that sells rims that are less the 70mm and I really don't want to pay Coolster $80 a pop when I just bought two for $70. Any ideas?
China does everything in metric. Thus the spec of 2.7 inches is suspect already (I'm assuming this is bolt circle radius). I also note the fact that it says 2.7 inches and not 2.700 inches, which implies an accuracy that it good to only 2 significant digits (like somebody perhaps measured it with a ruler).

70 mm is 2.76 inches, which in terms of radius is a difference of only about the thickness of about 12 sheets of paper. Are your rims only missing by that much? Or is there a much bigger difference?

I don't know what the standard rim dimensions are, but it seems really strange that there would be two standards so close together...

Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer

Probably the thickness of a dime. It wasn't much but only one stud would go through. I agree that 2.7" was probably a ruler measurement but that is what they have listed on their website which is all I have to go with. That was the distance from the center of one hole to the next. 70mm versus 68.58mm if their measurement is accurate. I have to ask with that little of a difference can they be drilled out or would that create to much play?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On my quad the rim has a large center hole that fits over a shoulder on the brake drum. That insures that the rim stays centered as long as the lug bolts are tightened up. Is your quad setup the same?

Even so I would be leary of the rim rotating (slipping) on the drum during braking and acceleration in enlarged holes - working at loosening the lug nuts as you go down the trail. If it were me I would drill out the holes to fit (but also making sure that a shoulder on the rim closely mates with the hole in the rim insuring wheel/axle concentricity). Then I would add proper diameter flat washers (1/8" thick) under the lug nuts and weld them to the rim.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Trailblazer

The rear has disc brakes so no my setup is a bit different
It has a center stud which takes a cassle bolt so I'm not so much concerned about the tire coming off as I am the slipping you referred to. The other thing I've thought about doing is taking the rims to a shop along with rear hub and having them drill and tap three new holes but I'm not sure what that would do to the integrity of the rim. If I could figure out how to attach a picture or insert it into the message I could show you what I'm talking about