3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Picked up a TaoTao 110D and refurbishing it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No pics, but I DO have video!

I have no social life, lmao, that's where I get time to do these things. When others are out partying on a Friday night, I'm in the workshop with a beer and some music hammering stuff like this out. When others are kicked back on a Sunday playing video games, I'm on the laptop editing up videos.

Eh, it keeps me out of trouble, I suppose

Yes - force curing the paint instead of waiting a week or so seriously improves the durability of the paint. It won't turn it into powdercoat magically, but it's a world better than just shoot and hope

I've heard that walnut and corn cob are supposed to be great for polishing bits - but I need to snag another HF tumbler at some point to find out!

*edit*

Duuuur forgot the video:

Last edited by uberDoward; 03-15-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Was (was?) a tard....
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for the late video - this one is a bit longer Going over electrical work (or 'voodoo' as many know it as)

Re-wired the headlight switch as the old one was busted, to a different one in MUCH better condition.

Video 1:

Video 2:

Last edited by uberDoward; 03-18-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Twofer!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 03-25-2015, 07:26 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like your very close to a ride day.. Its looking very nice.

Thanks for the cable lubing tip.. I usually cut the corner out of a sandwich bag and electrical tape it to the cable end.. squirt wd-40 type oil into the bag and let gravity take over. You do need to hang the cable over a drain pan with my method.

Noticed the big oven in the back ground of the last video I think. Do you use that for baking paint also?

Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

WD40 isn't really a good lube to use... doesn't 'stick' in there. It's meant as a water displacement fluid

Yep, actually, I have three more videos to finish - one more 'final update', then the unveiling, then the maiden voyage!

The big oven in the background (have two now!) are used for powdercoating bigger items. I'll be scavenging those at some point in the future to build a bigger powdercoating oven.

The goal is to be able to blast and powdercoat a motorcycle frame sized object without farming any of it out! I'm thinking like an 8' x 4' x 4' vertical rectangle.

Right now I could do an element on both ends, but I think one more element in the center of the back wall would work better, so I don't overheat the powder on the ends of a long object.

I'd also be able to do rear ends and whatnot, without taking up an exorbitant amount of my limited floor span.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by uberDoward
WD40 isn't really a good lube to use... doesn't 'stick' in there. It's meant as a water displacement fluid

Yep, actually, I have three more videos to finish - one more 'final update', then the unveiling, then the maiden voyage!

The big oven in the background (have two now!) are used for powdercoating bigger items. I'll be scavenging those at some point in the future to build a bigger powdercoating oven.

The goal is to be able to blast and powdercoat a motorcycle frame sized object without farming any of it out! I'm thinking like an 8' x 4' x 4' vertical rectangle.

Right now I could do an element on both ends, but I think one more element in the center of the back wall would work better, so I don't overheat the powder on the ends of a long object.

I'd also be able to do rear ends and whatnot, without taking up an exorbitant amount of my limited floor span.
I use it to flush the junk out.. forgot about the 10wt oil I add next.. oops..

Looking forward to the videos..

Thats a cool idea.. Do you use actual powder coating in the bigger ovens? What are you going to make the XL oven out of?(the case so to speak) Very cool by the way..

Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! LOL, yeah, some oil afterward would lube much better

I currently spray my powder outside the oven, then insert into the oven to bake. The oven I want to build, I'll spray and back in the same oven. My idea is to have a pan I can slide out from the bottom to save the excess powder.

I'll be making the big oven out of stainless steel, if I have my way, with a couple inches of insulation.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 04-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Quick Reply: Picked up a TaoTao 110D and refurbishing it!