3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Consensus on Tao Tao?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 53,000 miles I've had no electrical problems on my Lifan
At 53,000 miles its time to call the "Guinness World Records". Before you the most I heard of on this site was 11,000 miles on a ATV and that was a Honda Rubicon.

I'd be happy to get 53,000 miles out of a full dressed touring motorcycle let alone a ATV.

At 53,000 miles that must mean your on your 20th set of tires, or do Asian tires also last 7 times longer then the rest?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Lifan 200 is a dual sport motorcycle not an ATV but that is a lot of miles even for a small Japanese bike. My Taotao ATV has the same engine design though, as does my Zongshen 200, both copies of the Honda CG125 which was never imported to the US. There is an interesting article on the development of that engine at Honda Worldwide | History | CG125 / 1975

The following users liked this post:
Old Dirt Bike Newbie (05-06-2020)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Exclamation

Know nothing about them, but just looking at their lineup, the only model I'd give any consideration to is their Freelander 4x4 (their only 4x4). The thing that strikes me is how all their other models look like they have a 4-6 inch lift on them the way they sit. The Freelander is the only one that looks like what you think an ATV should look like. I would certainly buy from a dealer who knows the tricks of how they should be (like the mentioned chain issue).

Old 10-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Regarding the Taotao brand I can only speak of what Ive seen so far with our 90 day old 110 boulder atvs which werw built mid to latellate 2015, so they're fresh. So far so good, im waiting for something to happen. I adjusted both bikes chains. No bolts were loose like some others said about their older models atvs. Both start up cold with no choke and no throttle, idles perfectly. Suspension blows. Torque is low, but they're 110 kid bikes right. I'd think the 150 cc and up taos may be okay also maybe the newer models if they have finally figured out the hick ups, but I don't know only can speak of the 2 110s. Also my 2 quads have been ridden at least an hour a day for 90 days straight.

Will update if I have any issues to share.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Banned

The Freelander is a totally different machine. Much heavier duty! It is shaft drive and not chain. IRS so it rides sooo much better than the other units.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Randy Marsh
I haven't rode a quad in about 25yrs and while looking around, I came across this brand Tao Tao. After some time on google I couldn't quite tell if these are worth the hassle even at such a low price. It seems most people change out a few things right away, others seem to just complain about the chain falling off constantly.

I looked through the forum for Tao Tao post but didn't really find anything with people discussing the brand quality, just minor issues here and there. Also, maybe I missed it but couldn't find anything on the Rhino 250. So I figured I'd sign up here and get some opinions from yall.

The two models of Tao Tao I'm looking at are the ATA-250D and the Rhino 250.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I saw you already got a diff bike, for others curios... we’ve had 2 taotao 110 boulders with no issues yet after 90 days in a row of straight daily riding adults and kids. Only tightened the chains one time. Lot of peeps her have good points.
All I can tell you is what we have experienced so far with the smaller Tao bikes (not sure about the larger one)
Amazingly both of them fire up cold to a perfect idle, with no choke, no throttle – my warrior, Mojave, bayou, 300ex at least needed choke help when cold.
Parts are crazy cheap online, easily available, I mean it’s Chinese.
Suspension blows, but that is what you pay for, a new $500 quad.
Just find a cool dealer who will send you parts if you want them quickly like familygokartz.com Jeff, they at least answer the phone and have been selling these bikes for 25 years.

I’ll update if and when I have an issue with one of them.
In the pic, the bike on the left is not a Tao, it's a Razor, that’s another story..

Old 11-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

You see 20 to 25 year old Japanese ATVs running around all the time, you will never see a old Asian ATV years from now I will bet.

I'll put money on that one and if they're mine, they'll better than any other quad.
"Never underestimate a redneck hot rodder with tools"

Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Freelander 4x4 looks ok but its $4000. Its not really even that cheap.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Right, You probably won't see old Chinese quads running around, just not built as well, they're getting slowlyyyy better, but nowhere near the big Jap bikes quality. We've been through dozens of bikes over generations. As far as these little 2015 110's TaoTao's we have been trying to destroy, they've help up well with no issues yet, but you can tell they're not built as well which is why they're $450 out the door; cheap welds, soft steel, cheap suspensions, cheap bushings, out of round wheels. Again the bigger Tao bikes above 110's, I can't speak for, but imho if we're to spend around 4k, probably wound not get a $4k Tao, just get a good name bike - not sure what Tao is trying to do competing in the $4k range, unless they think they've finally made a solid long lasting larger quad...

Old 11-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the specs, it appears they've built an overweight, underpowered slug of a 4x4 quad. 693 lbs net weight with a 276cc engine is barely going to be able to pull its own weight. They claim it can go 50 mph. Maybe if drop it out of a plane.

Quick Reply: Consensus on Tao Tao?