3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Consensus on Tao Tao?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 05:26 AM
I am Lorde.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Consensus on Tao Tao?

I haven't rode a quad in about 25yrs and while looking around, I came across this brand Tao Tao. After some time on google I couldn't quite tell if these are worth the hassle even at such a low price. It seems most people change out a few things right away, others seem to just complain about the chain falling off constantly.

I looked through the forum for Tao Tao post but didn't really find anything with people discussing the brand quality, just minor issues here and there. Also, maybe I missed it but couldn't find anything on the Rhino 250. So I figured I'd sign up here and get some opinions from yall.

The two models of Tao Tao I'm looking at are the ATA-250D and the Rhino 250.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those models are about as simple as you can get in a 250 quad. The engines are clones of the Honda CG125 and are generally bullet proof. Frames are simple and sturdy. Suspension is adequate. If assembled properly they work well.

When you read about the chain falling off it's because the swing arm pivot bolt wasn't tightened properly which allows the swing arm to move fore and aft slightly.

I have an ATA250D bought used. It always runs good and has never missed a beat.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Get a "used" brand name vs a "new" Asian brand. Save yourself some grief.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They're cheap, that's about the only good thing I can say about them. The engines are clones of Honda engines but the other parts are subpar. The parts are cheap but parts that should last a long time have to be replaced often because they are of inferior quality(ignition systems, batteries, carbs, etc). Cheap tires and shocks too so they ride horribly. So if you don't mind constant wrenching and maintenace, then they are a great bargain. I'd rather have a 15 year old Honda Recon than a brand new Tao Tao 250.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The engines are clones of Honda engines but the other parts are subpar.
Just because the motor is copied clone from a Honda or Yamaha it still not build like a Honda or Yamaha, the metallurgy , gaskets ,carb , crank bearing and stator will be inferior ,so even the clone motor will be subpar.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

Lots of speculation there but some of us rely on facts rather than hearsay.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hugemoth
I'm not saying that every one of them that comes off the assmbly line is purposely built poorly. Its just that overall, they just aren't as reliable as something like a Honda or Yamaha. You're happy with yours and that's great. Poll 100 owners of Chinese quads and 100 owners of Hondas and you will get a better idea of how reliable they are by comparison. The parts are cheaper, the fit and finish isn't as good. Corners have to be cut somewhere in order to sell these things so much cheaper than the name brand models. If you buy one of these off the internet, you actually have to uncrate it and do final assembly by yourself, which also saves money for the company that makes it. You don't even know if it will start and run once you put it together. The customer service for these is hit and miss depending on which company you randomly choose. They might be very helpful or might not give a crap. Some local dealers sell these type of quads as well and that is probably a better way to go. You won't get the outstanding internet deals but you will actually be able to buy them fully assembled and have an actual place to take them back to and a real person to talk to in person if they do need service. I think for a small kids quad that they will outgrow quickly in a couple years, the cheap chinese quads might not be a bad idea. Once the kid outgrows it, you just basically throw it away because you have so little invested in it. For something you plan to keep for many years like an adult sized quad, it comes down to how much frustration are you willing to endure to save money.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:43 AM
I am Lorde.

I appreciate all the feed back. I was really close to getting a Tao Tao just because they were so cheap and I'm fine with doing mechanical work.

However, I ended up picking up a 99 Yamaha Grizzly 600 for $1300. It needs cosmetic work but runs great. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hugemoth
Well it's a fact they are cheaper. You heard the term "You get what you pay for". Your comparing a Lada to a Toyota car. People bought Ladas in the early 80s because they were cheaper, they were cheaper alright.
Why do Snap ON socket sets cost more then a chiness set from a ToolTown bargain store. Ones made of harden steel and the other is like soft lead.

Buy a Stator for a Asian ATV and they cost $30 when a stator should cost closer to $300. That's why every second post in the chiness section "Have No Spark". Its because a $30 stator behaves like a $30 Stator not a $300 stator, then you can get into the rest of the parts with the same problems.

You see 20 to 25 year old Japanese ATVs running around all the time, you will never see a old Asian ATV years from now I will bet.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

I've towed my friend and his DRZ400 (motorcycle) back to camp with my Lifan when his stator went out. $450 for the dealer to replace it. In 53,000 miles I've had no electrical problems on my Lifan, or any of my other Chinese engines for that mater. My 6 other local friends who ride Chinese bikes have had zero electrical problems except for one solenoid. The only reason a Japanese OEM stator costs $300 is the huge profit margin. A bit of copper wire and a steel lamination probably costs $10 to make.

The rectifier/regulator on my Honda street bike went out in Tok Alaska during a trip 2 years ago. I stayed in a campground for 9 days while I waited for one to get shipped in. Hondas are CRAP! Just kidding. Love my Hondas but really love my Chinese bikes too.

Quick Reply: Consensus on Tao Tao?