3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Carb Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Upgrade Question

Does anyone know if linked carb (Mikuni 26mm) will fit on a Coolster 110cc (3050C)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181924122944

I'm fairly sure the bolt holes will line up. It's just a matter of fitting it in the space available.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

For that price, I'd go for it. May take some tuning. I's start with getting it to idle, then tune for 1/8 throttle to half or 3/4, then very carefully try some wot until until you get a safe tune. for jets

Old 05-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok...So perhaps I didn't think this through. I received the new carb today and right away I can see the intake manifold that came with the new one won't work on my quad. The original was more bent back over itself. Can you buy different shapes that will make this new one work? Also, the intake port is still only approx. 20mm. Do you bore out the inlet or does simply having a bigger carb enough? Finally, after all that, would similar upgrades need to be performed on the exhaust side to really realize any performance gains?

This is my first quad and I'm enjoying tinkering around with it but I might have bit off more than I can chew with this project! Please help! I'm feeling pretty foolish at this point. At lease I've only sunk $46 in it so far!

~ Tony

Old 05-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The right bore for a carb depends on engine size and state of tune. No advantage will be gained if the original carb was right for the engine size you have. In fact performance will drop as the speed of airflow through it drops, causes less suction on the main jet and upsets the air/fuel mixture. With a performance exhaust, big bore kit, high lift cam, and/or big valves, an engine may need to get more air.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TMiddleton
I received the new carb today and right away I can see the intake manifold that came with the new one won't work on my quad. The original was more bent back over itself. Can you buy different shapes that will make this new one work?
Plenty of different intakes on ebay if you want to at least give this carb a try.chinese atv intake manifolds | eBay

Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merryman
The right bore for a carb depends on engine size and state of tune. No advantage will be gained if the original carb was right for the engine size you have. In fact performance will drop as the speed of airflow through it drops, causes less suction on the main jet and upsets the air/fuel mixture. With a performance exhaust, big bore kit, high lift cam, and/or big valves, an engine may need to get more air.

I'm with merryman on this...you could probably get a lot more out of your stock carb if other modifications are made. I significantly increased the HP on my scrambler 400, but it's still running a stock carb (modified).

My son's LT80 is having the motor built by Jack Moore and he only modifies the stock carb...

Same on my Yamaha Vmax 1200 - just stock carb with jetting changes and airbox modifications along with a high flow exhaust.

If you significantly increased the motor's requirement for more air/fuel, then it might be justified...but in many cases it is not. Stock carbs can be re-jetted and air boxes modified to get impressive gains.

But to get those gains the lungs (motor) needs to breath! Everything merryman suggested (I'll add port & polish the head) will work on the thumper and help it breath...

Old 08-08-2016, 02:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I finally got the time (and motivation) to work on the ATV. After a fair amount of customization I've got the carb installed. However, it idles way high. I tested for leaks in the intake and it seems to be airtight. I haven't taken it back apart yet to confirm the pilot jet size but am thinking that is my next step and possibly going next size down.

As always, any advise is greatly appreciated!

Oh and to the ones suggesting I go a different path...I hear ya but I'm already knee deep and can't turn back now.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

It was the throttle cable. I couldn't see how far down the cylinder was sitting until this morning. I still have to back out the idle screw a bit more than usual but at lease it's idling without wanting to take off.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent...I was going to suggest that...sometimes the needle can be tricky to seat on the slide as well...re-check everything...can't hurt...

Old 07-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TMiddleton
It was the throttle cable. I couldn't see how far down the cylinder was sitting until this morning. I still have to back out the idle screw a bit more than usual but at lease it's idling without wanting to take off.
How did the 26mm Mikuni work out on your 110cc? Did it give it more low end power and throttle response? What mods did you have to do to get it to work with the original intake manifold? I just ordered the same carb for my boys Coolster 3125XR8 (125cc) and very curious about it.
Thanks