Arctic Cat Side By Sides Talk about all the Arctic Cats, Sport and Utility

Side by side UTV's flipping over problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side by side UTV's flipping over problems

I'm looking at utvs for hunting transportation and had narrowed my choices down to the Prowler, Ranger, and a Rhino or maybe holding off and checking out the new Honda that suppose to be coming. I just got back from eastern Wyoming where there appears to be alot of drilling and mining exploration going on, any way we came across what I'd call a surveying crew with Utv's, we saw something that aroused our curosity and we went and talked with them. They were on 3 Rhinos that some thing like out rigger wheels or training wheels had been fabricated and attached to sides to prevent roll over!!! The foreman said their company had several serious accidents where utvs had rolled over and their insurance company had forced them to put the out rigger wheels on them to continue insuring the company. Is this roll over problem limited to the Rhino or should I reconsider going to regular atvs for hunting transportation. What would you all recommend as the most stable utv for slow trail riding in the mountains . Thanks Bill

Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

I would imagine the stability is about the same in all of them and regular atv's are tippy too. Just ride cautiously, dont ride like a maniac.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 AM
Range Rover

Definately the ranger or prowler for stability

Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

polaris Razor also ,lower center of gravity

Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't do doughnuts in the RZR. They flip like pancakes if you do. The weight of the machine compresses the inside front tire, it grabs traction instead of slipping, and over you go. From zero to $3000.00 damage before you can blink your eye.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]For the sake of safety a training wheel would be awesome but for the trail rider it just wont work at leaast here in harlan county ky (member HCRR)and you might say thats a good thing for kids because it sounds like to me thats what was riding those outrigged utv`s. sounds like they were abuseing the rhinos and trying to turn them over and pushing them to their limit I ride a artic cat prowler and also have a 08 razr and to answer your question in my opinion any of the side by sides will do the job for you. and enjoy every min of riding the trails . I to am a old man and know the limits .good day sir

Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have owned em all ,, and i have found that the prowler i own now has much more stability due to the wider wheelbase and stance. we have atv and utv rides regularly and the utv's provide MUCH more stability,the ranger also provides it as well. No way i'll ever own another atv!!! Just keep in mind,,,while wider is better it also limits you to the places you can go but this is taken care of by a good sharp machete !!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Side by side UTV's flipping over problems"></title><script src=

I have had my prowler for almost a year now and I ride it hard, its alot wider than the other utv's and therefore much more stable. The only down side is that if you are going into small tight trails it gets a little tricky, and you break all your plastic fenders... The machine rocks and it can carry tons of gear!!!! get a prowler it sounds just what your looking for!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Side by side UTV's flipping over problems"></title><script src=

I can see where the companies insurance would require it. I'm sure they don't do any special training for the employees, just turn em loose in them.

And who hasn't been in a company vehicle and gave it just a little too much gas. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But like had been said before, on a trail that kind of thing won't work.

Common sense and experience are the two things needed sometimes. And mostly, you got the second from the lack of the first.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 650 prowler ,,, its wider and has more ground clearance than most ,, we have had it in some pretty nasty places and haven't turned it over yet ,,,

Quick Reply: Side by side UTV's flipping over problems