Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500 To The Rescue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2000, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, sorry to bore you but I just had to share my recent outting with y'all. Well, I finally got a chance to run up to my property to check things out after we had it logged in the last couple months. Wanted to see how the 'Cat's perform up there, and how much damage the loggers did. Well, 'Cat's did excellent, and there is lots of damage, tons of work for me to clean up now.

Anyway, one of the reasons I bought the 'Cat's was to work up there, dragging logs and cleaning stuff up. Well, I hooked up to the biggest log I could find, which was roughly 35' long, and about 10" in diameter or so. Anyway, hooked up to it, drug it up hill, plowing a trench with the end of it all the way up. The 'Cat didn't even struggle, so that was nice to see. No fear now with the job I've got ahead of me.

Next step was to see how it could handle the mess the loggers left. Again, no problem at all really, with one exception-ground clearance. I was "tip-toeing" over all kinds of fallen timber, and logs that had been cut, with no problem. Many of these logs were over a foot in the air, so it was interesting to see the 'Cat crawl up to them, then "hop" over, and on to the next. I would like another inch or two of ground clearance though, to clear a few of the stumps. (I got high centered on the axle on one stump while crossing a few different logs and had to get off to walk it over). Another inch or two of clearance would have been ideal.

OK, now to the really cool part. While I was pulling down into the cabin, I lost four wheel drive in my suburban. (That wasn't cool at all!) Well, I managed to get the rig in to dry ground on the way in, but going back out was the problem. I was able to avoid the first couple mud holes for the most part, but the last one got me. Real bad. My Grandpa was following me with a Jeep Cherokee, but he couldn't get around me, as the trailer was also in a bind, hooked up to the suburban, and kind of in a jam. I rocked it for what I could, but that just made things worse. Before I knew it, I had managed to slide over the edge, and high center the suburban on a culvert pipe, with the rear axle burried in mud, and the front axle hub deep. Here's the cool part. Since the Cherokee couldn't get around me, I drove my kitty through to the other side, and strapped off to a stump. I wasn't sure what to expect, and really didn't think anything would happen, but boy was I wrong.

I tied the 'Cat off to a large stump, then ran a strap from the suburban to my ****** block, which was doubled back to my winch plate. Believe it or not, but my little Kitty got that Warn A2000 a winding away, and drug that high centered suburban, axle buried in mud, resting on the running boards, plus the trailer up out of the hole, threw the mud, and onto the dry land. I couldn't believe it, the darndest thing I think I have ever seen. All I can say is "I LOVE MY 'CAT!"

I was so excited about the whole situation, that I completely forgot I had a camera, till after I had the suburban back up on top, and actually on it's wheels instead of it's belly. Anyway, I doubt they'll show much but I do hope they turn out. If they work, I'll try to post them as soon as they're develped.

On a side, sad note, I did manage to catch a branch from a tree limb or something that tore a hole through my seat cover. The foam itself isn't even scratched, but the black seat cover has a nasty slice in it. Does anybody know how to fix this, or should it just be replace???

Anyway, sorry to bore you with my rambling, but just had to share this experience of the AC 500 winching out a very stuck suburban and trailer. If it wasn't for my 'Cat, I'd still be stuck there as we speak.

Mike

Old 05-12-2000, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like a new action-adventure movie. Thanks for sharing that, gives me some ideas

Old 05-12-2000, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you had a full day!!! On your torn seat cover.. Any good upholstery shop (esspecially one that specialize in auto upholstery)should be able to recover your seat, You might even consider adding padding to it or a custom seat cover while your are at it. You know design your own seat cover!!! Just an idea thought you might like it.

Old 05-13-2000, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice going!

Glad there's at least ONE ****** block believer in our midst!

Tree Farmer

Old 05-13-2000, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

On your seat cover you can get the camo seat cover from cat , It won't fix the problem but it won't let it catch on anything else and it looks good too.

Old 05-13-2000, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advice with the seat repair. I've been looking at those rear rack bags and the rear rack bag with pockets from atvstuff.com, and was thinking that if I got the camo bag, a camo seat cover might look pretty good along with it. Still looking for a good one, and cheap for that matter. These things aren't cheap to buy so hopefully something like that can be fixed with a minimal cost. Who knows. Guess we all have to pay for our toys, right! Heh Heh Heh.

Tree Farmer:
Boy I tell you what, if it wasn't for that ****** block, I'd have never been able to get the suburban and trailer out of the mud with anything short of a tow truck. And, being about 45 miles from town, and about 15 miles out in the middle of nowhere, I don't imagine that would have been very cheap. So, I consider the $30 superwinch ****** block to be a necessity which has already paid for itself. I have always believed in ****** blocks, but after this, I don't think any winch owner should ever be without one. Again, I can't thank you enough for the suggestion of where I could get a good one for a good price. AW was great, and the block is even better so I think I may just pick up another one just to have.

Thanks again guys!!!

Mike

Old 05-16-2000, 06:36 AM
Pro Rider

Man you guys just have all the fun,guess I better find me some ****** blocks and quick.

Old 05-16-2000, 08:58 AM
Range Rover

Good story! Too bad you lost 4 wheel drive on the Chevy. They are usually tanks themselves. I know, I had mine through some serious stuff. I hope my new Kodiak performs as well as your cat. As for the seat, you can pick up a repair kit at Pep Boys, Western Auto, or some store like that. All you need is a little patience and an iron. The stuff works pretty good, and is reasonable. Good luck on your next adventure.