Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Bought a new deer rifle :)

Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a new deer rifle :)

ok i know this is the arctic cat forum but i have knowen alot of you for a long time and i am just so excited i bought myself a new deer rifle. my other rifle is a 742 model 30-06 semi auto which was passed down to me when my grandpa passed away and it is in perfect condition and i don't really wanna go busting through the woods with it anymore so i decided to retire it in memory of my grandpa. i also have a new nikon 3x9x40 scope on it. my new rifle i just bought today is a Savage 7mm short mag. i know what some of you are thinking that they are a cheap gun and i know they are but i love the savage. it has a composite stock and is stainless steel barrel. so i ordered the gun and well who can buy a new guy without getting a new scope so i been shopping around looking on the net and i ordered leupolds new VX-L scope. i think it is a 3.5x11x50. i purchased this scope cause i like having a 50 mm scope for drawing in light and i like how the vx-l is designed to sit low just like my 40 mm. so everything is gonna be here friday and it sounds like i am looking about about 1250 bucks for my new toy but i think i am gonna like it. oh and well my father was there asking about them game camera's that takes pictures of wildlife and he was looking at guns and fell in love with the 300 short mag savage so he is gonna trade in his .223 on that. the short mag was only 350 where mine was 500 cause i got the accutrigger on mine.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Weez440
The accutrigger is a greatest thing savage did. They make a good rifle and always have. There just like the rest, they have a high and low end product.
And for the Arctic Cat that I have, I am enjoying it.
Have fun with your new rifle and be safe.
Keppy

Old 10-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

hey keppy glad you are still enjoying your cat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i know i enjoy mine all the time. and i hope i enjoy and like this gun, i was a lil concerned about the kick cause as you know it is a bolt but i bought the top of the line recoil pad for it and i was told if it kicked to much for my likings i could put lead in the stock to weigh down the guna lil.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

That should be a great gun for you weez! I just tried to sight in my new gun last weekend, I got a Browning BAR ShortTrac .270 WSM with a Leupold VX-II 3x9x50. I too like the wider objectives.

Here's to success for the both of us this season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Savage has alway had a very accurate rifle because of their barrel mounting system. It allows for exact head spacing which always improves the rifle's ability to repeat round after round. The Accutrigger is worth every penny.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrats on the new gun Weez! I bought mine two years ago, so i wont need a new one for a while. I have a Remington 30-06 with a simmons scope. It is a bolt action, which i feel is the most accurate you can get. Three weeks till opener!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck everyone

Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

thanx for the good wishes everyone and well seriously is there a bad gun out there? lol i was a kid in a candy store when i was in there but i had my mind made up i wanted a short mag and with as accurate and as good as my .243 savage has been i knew i wanted a savage, i knew i wanted a composite stock and a stainless steel barrel so that really narrowed it down. my dad just brought home his new 300 short mag with stainless steel and composite stock in the savage bolt and i was like damn you i wanted to do him up on his 7mm mag browning auto then he does this but i guess it is partially my fault. i actually couldn't sleep last night i kept dreaming of my gun and am feeling a new excited feeling for deer season this year i haven't fealt in about 5 years. oh and one of my real good friends went with me yesterday and ended up buying a 270 short mag remington and it is bolt action and with the overtime we both been working lately i think he might buy the leupold vx-l scope like i got.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

oh yeah and we got a 3 week season up here again this year so well i guess i can take my time and pick and choose but if nothing of monster quality comes along by 3rd weekend i gotta throttle a doe to test it out. my gf and i were up at deer camp last sunday and 3 in the afternoon i counted 13 deer eating out in the field which is luckily seeded into winter wheat. my stand is about 250 yards from the field inside the woods so they gotta go by me to get to the field [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i can't wait i am like a ghitty lil schoolgirl.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weez - Congrats on the new rifle. I hope she does you well in the years to come. My old Remington 7mm Mag that I bought used has been very good to mr over the years. I have no plans to replace the rifle, maybe the scope. I will however, buy a bigger gun to take to Africa, maybe the Winchester .458. I'm still looking since it will be about two more years before I go.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

hey dee thanx for the well wishes. lol i wonder how that .458 would work on whitetail? and well so far so good with the rifle it has been a fun rifle to shoot. if i get anything worth talkng bout i will put pics up after season.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a new deer rifle :)