Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

General Questions about 05 Arctic Cat 400

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Questions about 05 Arctic Cat 400

Sorry if these are questions already covered, but here they are. What fluids & filters do I need to monitor and change. I already checked the Brake fluid and changed the oil and oil filter. I also cleaned up my air filter using some gas and seems to have gotten it clean.

Are there any fuel filters, transmission fluids, or coolants I need to be checking or replace. I am just trying to get a grip on these things.

Lastly my display is flashing AWAY when I am in gear and driving is this normal?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No fuel filter, but with todays fuel I installed an inline on my machines. The tranny fluid is the engine oil. The engine is Air and Oil cooled (thats an oil cooler up front, not a radiator. I would suggest you check the front and rear differential levels. And NO the flashing display is not normal. Using gas to clean air filters is dangerous, fire hazzard first and it is not good to breath gas fumes or get it on your hands, sayeth the guy that was exposed to alot of bad chemicals and is now disable because of it. Oh yeah, I like you attitude toward preventive maintenance.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the information, how do you check the front and rear differential levels?

Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jordajp
Thanks for all the information, how do you check the front and rear differential levels?
Well, the shop manual tells you little. The fill plug on the front diff. is on the left side, half way up in the front. The rear is on the right side to the rear. The is no info on how full they should be, except that they diff. holds 5.8 oz of 80W-90 hypoid oil. The owners manual says replace the oil every4 years. As to level for checking, I've heard everything from 1" down from the fill hole to level with the fill hole. Since mine is still under warranty, I have let the dealer check it. I suppose I ought to ask the service manager next time I'm in.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

what type oil should you put in your engine..I put in 20W 50..see anything wrong with that

Old 10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I prefer 0-40 weight for all year use. Also, a good quality synthetic oil is what would reccomend, and in my opinion, amsoil is the best for this. I also reccomend using amsoil gear oil in you differential. The oils are a little more exspensive, but you pay for the quality[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Welcome!

Now first thing you should do is get that oil out of there, your ATV needs something that is "Wet Clutch" compatible. And most oils are not. The oil that Arctic Cat sells of course is, as well as the Amsoil 4-Stroke stuff that has a picture of an ATV on the bottle. That is what I use. I also put in the Amsoil Marine Lube in my front and rear diffs. Great stuff and can handle a 10% water contamination amount.

I also added a fuel filter, got it at Napa for $2.50.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

Since were talking about oils, i had the dealer install 0-40 synthetic in my quad. My question is that i went mudding htis weekend, and i know i have to get everything cleaned, but i was also told that i would also have to replace all of my fluids i.e. engine oil, radiator fluid, and differential fluids, is this true, ar am i good to go after every inch of it is clear of mud and dirt, thanks in advance. I will add that my quad sat in the water for something like 2 hours (something went wrong with both my buddies and my winch, go figure) is that gonna play into this or not.

Josh

Old 10-18-2006, 04:57 AM
Trailblazer

2 hrs i would change it.

How did you get them out?

Old 10-19-2006, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, well my winch cable wasnt quite long enough to get around the tree, and it came within about 6 inches of making it. But wen i tried to stretch it the extra 6 inches she came right out of the machine, which at this time was barried under the mud. So backup plan use my buddies to pull me out backwards, that a no because his winch was somehow wrapped around itself funny and we tried to pull it free but it wouldnt come, so now what. Well its getting late and were losing light, and there is no way im gonna leave my quad in the mud overnight, so we start thinking, we decided to try and swing the quad around so that the front was on high ground and the rear end was in the whole, after another 25-30 minutes, we finally got it turned enough so that the winch was above water which was great. So i took the winch cable and felt around for the winding hole, and lucky enough it was right on the top, i slid it in there, and because i was turned i was able to hook onto a closer tree. WE ended up getting out at around 9 oclock with about 12 miles to get back to where we were staying and i realized that i have a flat tire (valve stem cam out) so we ended up dropping my quad at a house and riding my buddies quad back to the house to grab the truck, what a night. Not to metion I was in Minnesota and anybody that lives here will tell you that the small ponds are freezing over, and that water was cold, but anyway the quad is safely home with a fixed tire and all that needs to be done now is an oil change and pressure washing.

josh

Quick Reply: General Questions about 05 Arctic Cat 400