Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

newbie questions on 08 or 08 ACs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions on 08 or 08 ACs

I know nothing about atv's but have some rough land I need to clean up in north central Arkansas (the Ozarks). Planning on 4x4 ATV to drag brush and small trees with as well as later drag a disc between trees. I'm looking at 400-500cc, auto, 4x4, IRS. Most of the time will be dragging one thing or another, typically winding through trees on side of rocky hill. Can anyone tell me about AC stability and ease of turning without power steering? I would prefer an 08 or 08 400-550 size. How do they compare to Grizz 450, KQ 450, or the new Honda Rancher AT? (Too much ground is too steep angle for tractor) Any help / suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior

Typo in the thread topic - sorry should 08 or 09.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

Hey BAV,

Having been raised and started my public schooling in the SW Missouri Ozarks, in a one-room schoolhouse, I feel we have some common interests.

First and foremost, there is no such thing as considering anything but an Arctic Cat which is the most DURABLE in the industry. It sounds like you're definitely going to need A MACHINE THAT IS DURABLE. I've ridden in the Ozarks and they are quite challanging. that and the 500 class is a great place to work. It will handle all your needs.

The 500 size is a true workhorse and yet the cost is affordable. I personally like the TRV as it is bigger (8 ft. long) and weighs over 700 lbs. being great for traction. Also, make sure you get the winch. It is an absolute must.

I've been riding longer than most are old, and I swear by the AC. Most of the manufacturers out there today make great machines, but in my opinion AC outpaces all.

Good Luck and have a great 2009

RIDE SAFE.....

P. S. Guard against the Chiggers during the summer.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Hi bav, i too live in missouri and have a farm in fredericktown (120 miles south of st louis). The 500 class atvs work great for doing what you want. (Remember to use low when hauling or pulling). The cat has a tippy feel to it but its actually more stable than it looks,expecially the 09 models with new race suspension and slightly lower ground clearence than previous models. A good 6 ply tire would be a wise choice after purchasing one due to a more stiffer sidewall and puncture resistant. Handles better too. The other makes and models all have thier pros and cons as well as the cat. It will be a personal choice for you to decide the machine for you,but it dont hurt to ask others thier opinion. The work you described, i do recomend a cat also. Im on my 3rd cat(1999 3004x4, 2002 500I4x4, and a 2008 7004x4). Simple reason i keep choosing cat over the others are the features it offers. To name a few: ground clearence,large fuel tank,high rack capacity ,irs, 2" receiver,diff lock, and my past models have never let me down. I still own the 500 which is the one i use for working. I also like the big bike feel. A grizzly is an excelant bike i dont know much abouth them. same for the KQ. know one around here has one. not haveing power steering to me is not a big deal but i ride all the time so im used to it. good luck in you purchase.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys! Any concerns or issues with tight turns getting a small disc between trees? My wife will doing some of this as I cut brush and she's got a few health issues (arthritis, bad back, etc). With no PS, is there any real issue with turning? As far as discs go, either of you use them on an ATV? Bass Pro's got some on the web and AC has the speed point setup (expensive but is it worth it)?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior

I forgot to add, there are no AC dealers within a couple hours of my place in AR. I live full time in KC so if I go Arctic Cat it'll be a buy here and leave it there. I've got an 04 extended cab GMC Canyon - any idea if I can haul one in the back of it? If not, it's either find a smaller frame ATV or add the expense of a towing package and trailer on top of the ATV.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

Hey i would definitly suggest that you get a suzuki. go to www.powersportsnetwork.com to look at reviews for all makes and models and they are submitted by real people. Anyways from what your looking at i would suggest the kingquad 450. The 400 doesnt have the irs and other stuff you might be looking for. It is definitly a great machine my uncle has one and ive drivin it its great. We have a kc 400 and have no complaints either but the 450 is definitly what your looking for.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

Forgot to mention, artic cats from what ive read and heard from people just dont have the reliability of the four japanese brands. suzuki does make the engines for artic cat and the problems with them never seem to be with the engine. Go figure =p

Old 01-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

I did some riding with an old Doctor friend of mine a couple of years ago in the Ozarks. I rode his 500 AC, 4wd. He rode a neighbor's Honda. Now the AC was an automatic and the Honda was a manual.

When we started our ride, it was late in the fall evening and the weather turned from rain to sleet and then to snow. We were just North of the Ark line in the Mountain View, Mo area. Doc owned 300+ acres of straight up and down hills and the wet leaves were like driving on oil. As you already know, many places in the Ozark woods are very steep. I could not get over how the AC handled. It was like it was built just for terrain like this. I couldn't walk up some of those hills. WHILE THE FRONT OF THE AC WAS GOING UPHILL, THE REAR END WAS STILL GOING DOWNHILL. Seems you have only to ride in the Ozarks once to understand this strange feeling. And No slippin' and Slidin'.

AC Rocks. That 500 is probably the best workhorse made. I had a dealer tell me that getting the bigger engine for chores like mine (an your's) just costs more. The 500 will handle most everything.

Break down and get a small trailer and you'll never regret it........

Bobpo

Old 01-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kingquad400

Hey i would definitly suggest that you get a suzuki. go to www.powersportsnetwork.com to look at reviews for all makes and models and they are submitted by real people. Anyways from what your looking at i would suggest the kingquad 450. The 400 doesnt have the irs and other stuff you might be looking for. It is definitly a great machine my uncle has one and ive drivin it its great. We have a kc 400 and have no complaints either but the 450 is definitly what your looking for.</end quote></div>

What do you mean by "real people"? Are you saying that Arctic Cat owners are unreal or just computer generated? bav is asking our opinion on Cats from Cat owners so go back to the Suzuki forum and give your opinions to anyone that is interested in Suzuki's and stop brand bashing.

Quick Reply: newbie questions on 08 or 08 ACs