Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New to the Cat World...any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Cat World...any pointers?

Hi, well Like the title says I am new to the cat and ATV Connection World.
Well actually new to the ATV world. I have ridden them plenty just never owned any(always had bikes)
Any way so I went and bought 2 Cats the first is my wifes. Its a 2004 AC 300 4x4 seems pretty straight forward. No electronics....814 miles... any tips?

The other one is a 2004 AC 650 v2 seems pretty solid doesn't slip shifts good goes in and out of 4x4 fine. The belt light is on but I have already discovered that this must be a common problem. It's missing the dash cover but I have it ordered and the guy was an older guy who rolled it once and broke the speedo housing but I epoxied it for now and it all works. The only other thig that I have noticed is that when you cut the key off it makes a wierd noise from the solenoid on the belt cover Its like it wins and you hear it disenguage or something. It has 194 hours and 1462 miles on it. Anything I should be looking for or be aware of? Oh yea it has a slight hesitation but i think it's just a idle jet clogged I am going to try some new fuel and Seafoam in it befor I pull the Carbs and clean them.

I thing I did ok on the deal I bought them as a pair for $5000.00
I will post pics this week.

Thanks in advance for any pointers as a new Cat owner.
Brian

Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Welcome to the forum!

I too am a "newbie" to ATV'n (motorcycles too). Bought out first TRV 650H1 2-Up last July, and just recently bought the wife her own 550H1 EFI 2wks ago.

The biggest thing I've found with these machines is keep up with maintenance! I change the oil/wash air filter ever 500 miles and change the diff. oil every 1500. I use AMSOIL oW40 and 75W90 synthetic. I also found the keeping them CLEAN will eliminate alot of dirt & grime buildup that can lead too premature seal wear & that will depend on the type of riding you do - trail or mudd'n

Oh a really good ATV over-all cleaner is EAGLE ONE - Rim & Tire.

Your V2 belt problem is the nature of the beast. It's a clutch issue I believe, and I have NO idea on a fix. You may want to check out this site:

http://www.arcticchat.com

They've got alot of V2 info.

Since BOTH yourr machines are used.......if you can strip away as much plastic as you dare and check ALL your wiring! Chafe'n is a HUGE issue and leads to electrical shorts. (the handlebar cluster of wires is a big area)

SEAFOAM is a great idea, but I also use Chevron's TECHTRON additive to prevent sulfur buildup from bad gas that messes with the fuel gauge leads.

Let's see.......oh battery probs are common. I use a 1.5 amp bat maintainer when they sit, and if you don't plan on riding in the winter...pull them and use the bat maintainer.

It basically common sense. I look at them this way - they're MINI 4X4's that you take places you wouldn't take your truck on a good day. SO the abuse they withstand from such riding only emphazises the need that much MORE.....to take care of them. - breaking down from simple neglect, and walking home is a real pain.

my 2¢

Good luck & have fun!