Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

cv boot bands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv boot bands?

i recently snapped and axel and after havng the dealer put a new one in the band that holds on the cv boot came loose and started pushing out a little grease... the dealer said that i cannot throw on a pipe clamp is there a reason for this?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Depending on which boot it is there may not be enough clearance for the screw part of the clamp. I also amnot sure what it would do to the balance of the shaft. I amnot sure if it would effect that or not.

A new automotive CV boot clamp is about $3 and if you sweet talk'em you might get a tire shop or someone with a clamp tool to install it for you for free.

However, if the dealer installed it and it is coming loose, he should be the one fixing it for free ASAP. Especially if he is a good dealer.

SJ

Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

ok thanks,
They said that they were going to look to see if they had a spare lying around in a tool box. If not they said they would have to get a boot kit for it just for the clamp.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There is a trick to putting them on tight,they blew that one band is all. If the boot is ok and no water or dirt got inside the boot just get them to try again with a new band..

Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

yea the band was loose and the boot could move back and forth and i could squeeze grease out but idk what go in there i imagine water may have gotten in there but idk about dirt?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

You definitely do not want to get water in the cv joint for any length of time. Given the cost of replacing the cv joint it is best to replace the axle or 1/2 shaft and you already know how much that cost.

I would see if the dealer fix it correctly if not an auto parts store carries a packet of CV grease and CV bands. My guess is you will spend like $10. Then remove the large CV band (I think that is the one that you had slipping). Pull back of the CV boot. Remove all the grease (it is not good to mix grease types). You should be able to tell if water is present. Once it is cleanedaqueeze in your new grease and install the new band. A band tool is highly recomended for this. I bought one for like $15 and it is very handy.

It sounds harder than it is. You could probably do it in less than an hour. But your dealer should fix it if he was the one who installed it improperly in the first place. That is unless you no longer trust him.

SJ

Old 04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

i brought it to the dealer today and they said they would check it out and see hw it looked in there seeing it had gone trough water.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

At worst they just have to give the cv joint a thorow solvent cleaning and repack it with fresh grease and reband it.

Any dirt in there would act as a grinding mill mile after mile after mile.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Range Rover

i ordered boot kit from cvman.com after reading from this site. people are telling me that i dont need the banding tool? i was going to buy one but it cost 30$ from car quest. then i went to auto zone and they were out of them. i bought for like 3$ 2 unversal bands which says that u dont need a banding tool just plyer and a screw driver. then another guy says that i can use tie wire, okay what gives?? im confused, im was told that the bands from cvman i can crimp with plyers and that will be good. who is correct thx. i need to go to bed, ill read replies later tonite thx robert

Old 05-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

It has been my experience with the CV boot bands that I could crimp then with pliers but I could not get them very tight. If they are not tight they can allow mud/water into the cv joint then you will be spending way more than $30 on a new CV joint or worse a new axle.

The banding tool I have used a ratchet like device to tighten the band. I can tighten the band enough cause it to start to dig into the rubber boot. Cost about $30 but well worth it.

SJ

Quick Reply: cv boot bands?