Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

automatic trans knocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic trans knocking

I just got a 2002 375 4x4 with1300 miles in almost like new condition but, I'm afraid I may have got boned. The previous owner said the clattering was normal for these and was the clutch. However It seems to have gotten louder inthe past week. The noise is almost like a rod knocking in the engine but definately is coming from the rear driven pulley area. It clatters like crazy at idle or light load and stops on heavy load or decceleration. From what I've been able to search in this forum and others, it may be an improperly torqued nut on the back of the driven pulley.
Is this a common problem or are there other possibilities for this noise also and any diassembly advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Smiley

Old 05-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

ive seen several issues on the 375s and 400s. in fact a friend of mine bought a 400 new and he said from day one it made that noise. dealer told him it was normal. I finally convinced him to take it in when i told him its louder than both of our bike at an idle. He took it in and it was infact the nut, it was loose and has been a very quiet bike since.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Mudslinger,
I looked it over and printed out the parts diagrams today. While searching last night , I remember someone mentioning that a special tool was required for pulling the clutch to get at the nut and available on ebay for about $35. I'll keep looking but if anyone knows about this, please let me know in case I can't find it again. Also advice on where to get a service manual for it.
Thanks,
Smiley

Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

If my memory is correct, You should not need a special tool to get at the nut that secures the Drive or the driven pulley. However, to get at the nut that secures the clutch shoe assembly, in the clutch housing the moveable drive face an pulley need to be removed. I am not sure which "nut" is coming loose.

The drive pulley canbe removed without the special tool it is just a little more difficult to do.

SJ

Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Swampy,
There is another post on this forum about this problem ( Abnormal Automatic Transmission Noise) and the nut no. 15, upper left, that holds the driven pulley, in the parts list is the one they're talking about. If I get time next week, I'll pull the cover and see what's there.

If anyone can recommend a good service manual CD I'll download one. If not I'll just google and take my chances.
Thanks,
Smiley

Attached Thumbnails automatic trans knocking-arctic-cat-transmission.jpg  
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

smiley If u find a good manual let me know too please. Im looking for on too and don't know who to trust thx robert

Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Smiley, thanks for the info. I found out which ones they were looking at. My service manual shows the use of an impact wrench to remove and install the move able drive face nut and the nut securing the driven assembly (#15). So no special tools needed.

It does not say what size socket. Also, to use red lock-tite on the threads when reinstalling either of the nuts and to torque them to 10.4-11.8 kg-m (75-85ft-lbs). So it should be easy enough to remove the foot rest and the trans cover. Then put a torque wrench on either nut to check it.

SJ

Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK,
Hopefully I'll have time to get at it next week and will post the results when it's done.
Thanks again
Smiley

Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled it apart Saturday and unfortunately it is not that nut loose. It is the shaft that the rear transmission pulley rides on that's making the noise and getting at it involves splitting the engine. Something I'm not going to do right now. It appears to have excessive gear lash as I can create the clicking noise by rocking the shaft back and forth by hand. There is no end play in the shaft. I put it back together and now we're going to find out how long it'll stay together and worry about it when the time comes.
Smiley

Old 05-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

that sucks. i really thought it was going to be the nut. well, thanks for letting us all know.

Quick Reply: automatic trans knocking